Fix for Sash Windows which won't stay up

Chums

I've got a number of sash windows which won't stay up, despite their still be connected, on both sides, to the weights in the window.

What is the cause, and, more importanly, what is the fix?

:-)

Reply to
Mark Watson

The windows weigh more than the weights

Heavier weights

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

how do you know for certain they are both connected?

If a one or two of the ropes are broken then this might be causing it to drop

Reply to
ben

I restored all mine and draft proofed them in the process after the previous owners decided it was a good idea to paint them shut. It sounds like something has unbalanced them, maybe new glass? I would dismantle them and add some more weight if it were me, it's pretty straight forward. I bought a DIY kit to restore them but they aren't cheap at =A3100 per window and you could purchase the parts necessary for less if you really wanted to. The kit came with an easy to follow manual too. Not a quick fix but I'm sure someone else will have some good ideas if you're after a quick fix..............

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Have you reglazed them? If the bottom sash won't stay up the weights are too light.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Cause:

Someone's re-glazed the windows using new, flat, thicker, heavier glass.

Fix:

Fit heavier weights, or add weight to the existing ones using wired-on lead flashing or similar.

Bodge:

Cut some thin wedges and push them in around the sash to hold the window in place.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Heavier weights required probably due to heavier glass having been put in. Top weights should weigh slightly more than the sash so it will stay up and vice versa for the bottom sash.

Reply to
jacob

You need heavier weights. The glass has probably been replaced with some that is thicker than the original.Take the sash out and weigh it. You need two weights that are each half the sash weight.

If you are in striking distance of Bromley, I have a large pile of sash weights.

Regards,

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Fix the weights, ropes, pulleys and weight-boxes they slide in. Despite the appearance of being connected, something clearly isn't.

Reply to
dingbat

I'd like to know how everyone is supecting that the glass has been changed, especially when there is no mention of the glass being changed.?

Reply to
ben

Because the OP implies that both weighst are still connected.

Either the sash has got heavier (New glass) or the weights have mysteriously got lighter

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Has the glass been replaced with a modern double glazed unit?

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

If the sash cords are still attached, about the only thing that can have happened is that the weights are wrong, which is a difficult mistake to make if in the past they've been re-corded, for instance. It's possible that the whole sash has been replaced. However, these things may suffer from loose glass, eventually - there's a temptation when re- glazing to use modern float glass which is free of bubbles, distortion, etc. - but is about a mill thicker, :. heavier. If the OP looks through the glass, and there is distortion in parts, the glass is not perfect, it's probably old - if it's dead flat & clear, it's newer.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You forgot to add

.....and then make sure you can ring 999 without the use of your fingers while passing out with the pain.

Reply to
Matt

Because that's the most likely cause of the sash getting heavier. It is unusual for weights to get spontaneously lighter.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Actually all the windows have had secondary double glazing put in. But a couple of them -do- stay up, whilst others don't. I've opened up the gubbins inside the frame of one which does stay up and the weights don't look to have been supplemented. Very strange, although it could simply be the type of glass used in a specifc window I spose..

Reply to
Mark Watson

Secondary glazing "don't enter into it", unless attached to the sliding window (I have never seen this).

*However* - what sort of 2y. glazing have you? Is it neat? Does it reduce noise from outside? I'd be interested to know.

Is the glass actually in the window dead flat and clear, or is it the old type which distorts vision as you look through parts of it, may contain bubbles and ripples and is "old"?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Why open up the 'gubbins' for want of a better word on a working window? why not one thats giving trouble? And now for something completely different... Did you have the DG installed? if so why did the DG firm point this out and amend?

Reply to
ben

In message , snipped-for-privacy@jpbutler.demon.co.uk writes

Ehhh?

If the bottom weights were less than the sash it would never stay open properly.

Reply to
chris French

Friction keeps it in place.

Reply to