Sash windows.

Been fixing up some sash windows which are basically about 130 years old. Had a broken glass after what look like a bird it it - or bullet. ;-) And a sash cord.
So decided to replace all the sash cords at the same time, and with new parting and stop beads. So got the type that takes a nylon brush for best draught proofing. And wondered if anyone knows how long the brush is likely to last? It will hopefully stop any rattles too, in a wind.
--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

On Thursday, 10 October 2019 19:03:47 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not as long as the windows :-)
Can you buy spare brush strips and put them away for future use in case the profile becomes unavailable?
Owain

It comes on a drum, and you fit it to the bead yourself. I got a 100 metre drum. ;-)
--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Make sure the top sash is the outer one, not like this fine example... https://goo.gl/maps/Yxs3qvmEwETNJgYE6

;-) At least I got that right.
--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

I've got a lot of sash windows in my holiday flat, which is in a Grade II listed building - so little scope for double glazing.
I've replaced all my beads with the nylon brush type. They have improved noise and drafts to some extent, but not as much as I hoped.
I've also replaced the cord to sash attachments with these https://www.mightonproducts.com/cordclam-cord-retainer which make it a doddle to remove and replace the sashes in future - e.g. for painting. Oh, and the staff beads are screwed rather than nailed on like the old ones - also facilitating easy removal.
--
Cheers,
Roger