Sash windows.

That could be a "means of escape" window made to open out at the bottom...

Reply to
Jim K...

Been fixing up some sash windows which are basically about 130 years old. Had a broken glass after what look like a bird it it - or bullet. ;-) And a sash cord.

So decided to replace all the sash cords at the same time, and with new parting and stop beads. So got the type that takes a nylon brush for best draught proofing. And wondered if anyone knows how long the brush is likely to last? It will hopefully stop any rattles too, in a wind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not as long as the windows :-)

Can you buy spare brush strips and put them away for future use in case the profile becomes unavailable?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Make sure the top sash is the outer one, not like this fine example...

Andy Bennet

It comes on a drum, and you fit it to the bead yourself. I got a 100 metre drum. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

;-) At least I got that right.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a lot of sash windows in my holiday flat, which is in a Grade II listed building - so little scope for double glazing.

I've replaced all my beads with the nylon brush type. They have improved noise and drafts to some extent, but not as much as I hoped.

I've also replaced the cord to sash attachments with these

which make it a doddle to remove and replace the sashes in future - e.g. for painting. Oh, and the staff beads are screwed rather than nailed on like the old ones - also facilitating easy removal.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I've also used screws for the staff beads. Couldn't think of a similar way to fix the parting beads, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've found pins make it easier & quicker to remove the beads than screws.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The snag with nails is one of the four sections has to be removed first. Once this is done, the other three are easy.

But if they are nailed, much more chance of damage to the paint than with screws.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've no idea what that means. I did try screws on sliding sashes but found it produced far more disruption of paint & difficulty in removal.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My parting beads don't use any fixings. They are an interference fit in their grooves, and have to be tapped in with a block of wood and a hammer.

Reply to
Roger Mills

That may have been the case here 150 years ago. ;-) The old ones had long panel pins, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Belt and braces! If you replace them with the furry type, you'll probably find that they're a tight enough fit without needing any pins.

Reply to
Roger Mills

No - they are the same thickness as the ones they're replacing. Which weren't that old anyway. I drilled pilot holes through the new with a pillar drill to make using long panel pins easier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fairy Nuff. Mine were pretty tight - and I had to clear the residue from the old ones out of the grooves before I could get the new ones in.

Reply to
Roger Mills