Recycling thought

When our son was very small, we gave him real tools, sized to fit tiny hands - they're still useful today. When he was 11, he made his own tool box to keep them in. He, like both his parents, is a tool addict.

At 5, he got his first computer, and I showed him how to do simple programming; at 16, he was a certified MicroSoft instructor, teaching people twice his age. He runs an IT department now (using as little MS product as possible!), and does a fair amount of diy.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Good to hear that he's going straight now ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

:) It's important to know your enemy. He uses Linux.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Would you be happier to drink it if you knew?

The water companies don't supply non-potable water.

Water and its supply is fraught with difficulties, I'm amazed that we have such consistently good water. What are the figures for deaths caused by water?

I doubt that most of us could claim to be perfect ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Remember what WC Fields had to say about water... ;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

My beautiful granddaughter Hayleigh love 'helping; grandpa. She asked me the other day if I could build her a tree house. We are going to build it together!

She has already asked Nanny if she will make us cups of tea :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In my previous life as a pressure washer man, we had to make some hot water machines with stainless steel heater coils for use with distilled water. It trashed the ordinary MS coils in a matter of weeks.

The 'long pole' window cleaning vans use 100% pure water to clean high level windows. It removes all the dirt & doesn't leave any streaks.

Water's natural state is impure!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

How much are you charging ? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Me too! Mind there is a eutrification angle.

The dogs fouling of land act has caused more trouble than it was worth, especially in view of it's scope.

Having reason to see why this new behaviour of hanging dog shit in bags has arisen I've come to the conclusion that people bag shit if they think the dog's action has been observed, they then dispose of bag at the earliest opportunity they think they are not being watched.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I thought about that too. I also thought about what I used to say as an excuse for drinking whisky - that water rots your boots so Goodness knows what it does to your stomach.

But water is a LOT cheaper than the whisky I drink :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , AJH writes

My optimism was misplaced as the two bags were still there this morning:-(

To get back on topic, I have spent the last few days re-roofing the fire damaged barns. I may just squeeze the asbestos into one skip!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What, recycling thoughts?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Not in bags decorating the hedgerow then!

Reply to
Clot

In message , Tim Lamb writes

[snip]

Skip - whaddya doing putting it in a skip? I know some typical (council even) sites will take it, but round here they won't.

The only option round this was is a licensed hazardouse waste disposal company and the very same firm charges £650+ for an 'asbestos' skip, or £440+vat per tonne if you take it to them. My Mums old garden shed = £68 pounds delivered to them, my old potting shed, £54 pounds taken to them too.

Total of about £130 ish, or £1300 if done in seperate skips at the time.

Or are you putting the asbestos under the other stuff in the skip... maybe they won't notice :-)

Regards Someone

Reply to
somebody

When I moved into my present house, I had a downcomer (Drainpipe) attached to the wall which was made of asbestos. A local firm up here in Derwentside wanted to charge me £1000 to take it away and dispose of it. Council told me that if I double wrapped it in a certain grade of plastic then I could take it to the hazardes waste dump and they would charge me £500 for it's disposal. I had considered burying it in the garden. A chap came round collecting scrap and he took it for nowt, unwrapped. Tis his problem now I says..... all I know is that he saved me some money James

Reply to
the_constructor

No.

Mind you, at £120/ton tipped it is not surprising to find it by the roadside:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , somebody writes

Biffa waste. Tip near Hitchin. 9cu.m skip so hard to disguise.

We have had this discussion elsewhere but I think commercial exploitation of a situation created by our government stinks.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Similar situation with florescent tubes. Guvmint decides they are hazardous waste, companies jump on the band wagon & charge a small fortune for disposal.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And for how may years have we been breaking flourescent tubes in the bin and letting them go to landfil ? The bods and the Government have just suddenly woken up ...... ha ha ha ha ha ! James

Reply to
the_constructor

and we still break them in the bin (well I do anyway)

tim

Reply to
tim (not at home)