Recycling thought

You can get a £5K fine for doing that!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just got this from my local council - who wants to shoot it down in flames ?

"How Green is my Watford? One Watford Green Business Pledge Will you be a bronze, silver or gold business?

BRONZE ? Reduce energy and water use ? Reuse equipment and furniture where possible ? Switch to a green energy company ? Use local suppliers ? Encourage staff to use alternative methods of transport to the car ? Appoint ?environmental champions? among your staff

SILVER ? Recycle more ? Use recycled or sustainably-sourced materials ? Reduce the amount of waste your business produces ? Calculate and reduce your company?s carbon footprint ? Promote environmental responsibility within your organisation

GOLD ? Use more renewable energy ? Switch to fuel-efficient vehicles ? Undertake an environmental accreditation programme ? Off-set your carbon emissions ? Join Watford Journey Share ? Develop a Workplace Travel Plan"

Reply to
geoff

Which recycling bin should be used for the vomit?

Somebody has been on the indoctrination courses.

I had a leaflet from mine this week going into the details of recycling of green materials and composting.

It talked about the results sometimes containing bits of branch and eggshells after the rest has rotted down; but it was OK because this would be suitable for putitng on the lawn.

Now call me old fashioned, but I don't think that I really want bits of branch wrecking the mower blades.

They even had composting bins on offer, but curiously they wanted money for those. Considering that this exercise lets them off a hook rather easily, I somehow think that they haven't quite got the plot.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Write me a well constructed response Andy, and I'll set them straight

email is, of course, valid

Reply to
geoff

This will need some thought although there are a few howlers ready to be picked up

"Encourage staff to use alternative methods of transport to the car" - e.g. crawling on all fours out of the office to the car park.

Wasn't it Watford that declared itself a nuclear free zone at one point or was it Stevenage or somewhere?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I find it amusing that their recycling doesn't, at the moment, extend to using my services

We're uebergrun in that respect

motor bike, van, scooter and couple of pushbikes - not a car in sight.

is that an immediate gold star ?

It did have that under the sign as you entered from theA41, I'll bimble out on the bike and see if it's still there (one of those things you stop noticing after a while, isn't it)

Reply to
geoff

Middlesbrough, of all places, was one :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Geoff,

Absolutely not. You have to *switch* in order to get your gold star. Suggest you consider switching from cycling to vehicles that actually use fuel. It also appears that you should turn up your thermostat so that you use more renewable energy. I had this crazy idea that even if you are using 100% "renewable", using less energy overall might be a good move...

Reply to
Rod

If they got rid of that bloody one way system it would save the planet! Thosands of cars driving round in circles all day, the pollution must be incredible.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:26:19 GMT someone who may be "The Medway Handyman" wrote this:-

One way systems, generally large roundabouts, were installed by the motoring lobby to speed up motorists' journeys, or at the very least to make them not come to a stop due to rising congestion. They were part of the Traffic in Towns era.

Amongst their many faults is the bad effect that they have on walking and cycling. For this reason "greens" are not keen on them.

Reply to
David Hansen

Dave has omitted to say that, in Medway, they've actually removed the large oine way system!

Anything that makes life easier for pedestrians is a good idea.

Anything that makes like easier for cyclists is a bad idea!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Why?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Almost Bob! For months the council numptys left the flyover closed so you couldn't complete the circle, caused absolute chaos. Its now open, but under dispute.

Hear, hear! Bloody melon headed lycra louts!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Because nobody likes them :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You mean like this one?

Clive George

Oh yes...forgot that. I usually only go to the dockyard so I avoid that bit.

Certainly, nearly all of the ones round here are a menace on the pavements - without even the lame excuse that it's a busy road. And unpleasantly rude and aggressive. No doubt 'perfect Mary' will say it's different in Yorkshire...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Doh - how did I miss the glaringly obvious ?

Reply to
geoff

In message , Frank Erskine writes

Enfield too, IIRC

There's a sign as you come down Sewardstone Road to the reservoirs saying so

no smoke alarms or x-ray equip in the hospital then

Reply to
geoff

In message , David Hansen writes

Ah - we don't have any roundabouts on the ring road

I think we exported them all to Hemel Hempstead

geoff

That sounds rude and offensive :-)

I'd be interested to know how you know all the ones round there - or do you mean the ones you've seen? That's not the same thing.

Don't bother replying, by the way, I shan't see it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher