Recycling

I usually put my scrap out in the alley to let the metal scavengers get it but decided today..what the heck the scrap yard is only three miles from here and I knew the owner back when we were kids something like 50 years ago.

Doggone it, we both recognized each other right off the bat.

But for legal purposes he still had to put my driver's license into the system.

I told my wife that if I get at least $20 I may take the stuff to the scrapyard again rather than leave it in the alley.

He must have over-heard me...I got $19.20

good enough. It was near a resale shop and my wife bought $40 worth of clothing.

Reply to
philo

Are you trying to say it cost you about $ 20 to recycle at the scrap yard.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

"I wonder how much he could get for the wife," he said, donning his asbestos skivvies.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I posted here before that my wife and I have separate bank accounts.

I gained almost $20

and my wife gained a few hundred $$$ worth of designer clothes for only $40

Reply to
philo

I have trouble going down to the scrap yard, I usually come home with more than I took. ;-) It is the best place to buy stuff like "kitchen grade" stainless and chunks of aluminum. (big angle, square post, special brackets etc)

The best deals are when you catch the guy in line outside.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm pretty good about not buying things if I'm dead set on getting rid of things

but yes...some deal are too good to pass up.

My friend who does photographic printing professionally was at the same scrap yard I was at and he saw them about to put a ton of photographic printing paper in the shredder. It came from an out of business publishing company.

Anyway they agreed to fill his pickup with the paper for $100.

He told me that would have cost him thousands.

Reply to
philo

Not good enough or people would not still be stealing so much wire. We had three outside AC compressor condenser units ripped apart for the copper piping... twice.... now they are fenced.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

AC condenser cages are big business in some cities . I made good money on a lock box I designed for retrofit to older cages , and integrated into new ones I was building . We did have one cage that was almost broken into , one good yank on the lid and it would have been open . Lock box was trashed , apparently it took long enough to get in that they got nervous and split empty handed . OTOH , some locations required a piece of tempered drill rod in the square tube frames where they entered the concrete to defeat battery sawzalls .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I had a girlfriend that you never wanted to take on a dump run if you were driving a pickup.

Reply to
rbowman