Recycling thought

And so it should, not for environmental reasons, but simply to destroy a marketing exercise that convinced millions of people to buy a worthless product.

Thats simply one example of how public opinion is so easy to manipulate.

Currently the public are being told that global warming is manmade, that speed cameras reduce accidents. a low salt diet is good, cholesterol causes heart attacks, five a day is good for you, the new three a day fibre bollox & that passive smoking is a health risk.

And they believe whatever they are told. What a sad world we live in.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

?????

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:48:47 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Presumably part of their tests is to ascertain whether the loudly expressed opinions of some are representative of their customers or not.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 18:45:10 +0000 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Yawn.

I haven't ever seen brown water in this part of the country, or indeed other parts of Scotland when I visit them.

Reply to
David Hansen

Looks interesting but:

There's no room in our garden for one without sacrificing vegetable growing space.

a.. Waste food can be disposed of immediately. I don't understand that.

a.. Clean dustbins. Our dustbins ARE clean - we have very little non-compostable waste and it's wrapped before putting in the bin.

a.. Remaining household waste clean for recycling. That would be useful.

a.. It's easy to set up and maintain. But too big.

a.. Saves 20% of household waste being collected. It wouldn't save 20% of our waste :-) Our food waste is minuscule, as I've explained..

a.. Less waste means fewer lorries on the road. a.. Reduces need for landfill and large-scale treatment plants. a.. Reduces methane production which is a greenhouse gas . All irrelevant to us because of what I've said.

But I'd not heard of green cones so thanks for increasing my knowledge :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Does he ever?

Indeed.

Yes, it's getting better but a few are still impatient.

They'll learn :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's not difficult for a customer to take a bag when shopping.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hadn't heard that, it's another plus.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nor have I. I've drunk brown water from peaty burns, it's not harmed me. When the mains have been distrubed our water can be brown. So what?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah right. Of course, and the items are the rosary beads.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In this area, they certainly are. People don't have time to waste on silly nonsense and expect to get what they pay for.

The idea of two-weekly collections was suggested. That was roundly slapped down as, of course, it should be.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:20:04 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Indeed. Since they started their experiments I have not noticed anyone complaining about plastic bags in their shops and neither have I seen complaints in the mass media or people rioting outside their shops over this issue.

Incidentally neither have I seen similar signs of distress at places like Lidl.

My conclusion is that the loudly expressed opinions of some are not representative of their customers.

Reply to
David Hansen

To their credit Lidl have always charged for bags, so people soon remember to take them next time.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In the case of Lidl, that's consistent.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You mean there *is* a next time? People go back? Once was one too many times for me.

Do you think that they charge for bags for greenie reasons? That would be about as convincing as the notices in hotel rooms (usually superimposed over a photo of a waterfall) asking for towels to be returned to the rail as an indicator that they will be used again rather than washed, thus saving the environment. Yeah. Sure.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah yes, Andy, but you're an elitist snob! :-)

My understanding is that it's made clear that this is to save money; they sell themselves on being a 'basic' store, so no credit cards, no free bags, etc. Not that I use Lidl much - mainly Aldi and Netto as I park very near them anyway at least once a week.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Individualist. There's a difference ;-)

If they do that, then at least they are honest.

Having said that, they are rather stupid for not accepting card payments, attaching either a 3% discount or surcharge depending on approach. Having cash service cards as the only viable means to pay, seems very limiting for them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'm not sure of the current situation; they may do that in some stores. I'm usually buying few items and I just use cash.

(the Netto store is just outside my sons' school; younger son is good at nagging me to go and buy something if he's had a hard day - he's diabetic and pleads an impending 'hypo', although it doesn't always work!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

And I bet he wasn't missed!

We've had some good buys from A and L, when they have something we want that is. Usually tools. I'm at the pc now because I'd forgotten to see if there was anything appealing today. There isn't unless you want seductive underwear, cheap champagne or potted roses -all to do with St Valentine's day I suppose.

They don't sell oysters ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They take debit cards, just not credit cards. Spouse always uses his debit card there.

I should hope not :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher