Posidrive or slotted screws for woodwork?

They're like trees, they breathe CO2.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Unless you've got OCD, there is absolutely no need to notice the shape of something as small as a screw.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

hammer the bit into it. steel is harder than paint...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you ever thought of seeing an optician?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So how did they fix keyhole escutcheons and brass handles to drawers ?

michael adams

michael adams

Nails and/or rivets. Screws were hand made and bloody expensive. Why do you think there are so may joint types?

Reply to
dennis

I can tell the difference, but I don't care. That's the difference between good eyesight and OCD.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

En el artículo , michael adams escribió:

I've seen escutcheons on antique kit fixed with small nails similar to (but shorter than) panel pins. There is a name for them, but it escapes me at the mo. Escutcheon pins maybe?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

What if all that's available is east-west or vertical?

Tumbler?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Paint?!? Have you never heard of varnish?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Too long, I'm always needing to get into small spaces with them.

-- =

I would defend the liberty of consenting adult creationists to practice = whatever intellectual perversions they like in the privacy of their own = homes; but it is also necessary to protect the young and innocent. -- Ar= thur C. Clarke

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You need at least 5 of everything, that way you can always find one.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Neither do hand slotted screwdrivers, they slip out and jab your other hand.

25p a bit ffs.
Reply to
Mr Macaw

For everyday workaday furniture. Which for most people would consist of nondescript tables, benches, sideboards chests, cupbpoards, and beds. All listed in wills and handed down.

As was any furniture at the the time, which was furnished with brass handles and escutcheons.

As in brass handle and escutcheon joints you mean ?

Sorry they're a new one on me.

michael adams

michael adams

Used for polishing rocks and stuff, but great for cleaning old screws and brass bits. Think of a small plastic barrel rotating for hour after hour, the contents being a handful of screws, a dash of washing powder and (initially) hot water.

Reply to
News

Can't you put in Brasso?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Or maybe the square ones that seem to be coming in vogue,I have less trouble with them.

Reply to
F Murtz

Probably. I find, though, that washing powder and almost boiling water is perfectly good, and softens old paint which then comes off with the tumbling motion.

Reply to
News

I rather like slotted, raised-countersunk brass screws where appropriate. I use Pozi generally but sometimes they just look wrong, especially on furniture nad door furniture.

Reply to
PeterC

Australia - see sig

Reply to