Posidrive or slotted screws for woodwork?

How is it a drawback? Drywall screws wouldn't work without it.

What do you think .1 means?

Reply to
dennis

Does 1940 make it antique?

Reply to
dennis

Why not? Are you that clumsy with a screwdriver?

An improved version.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Wikipedia says "It is common practice to define "antique" as applying to objects at least 100 years old", but it also says "collected or desirable because of its age, beauty, rarity, condition, utility, personal emotional connection, and/or other unique features" so I guess it also depends how good it is and if people really really want it.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

They were around a good deal more than 100 years ago!

"HISTORY ? The use of metal screws as fasteners began in Europe in the 15th century. The screw was used in furniture but did not become a common woodworking fastener until efficient machine tools were developed near the end of the 18th century. The earliest record of lathe made wood screws dates to an English patent of 1760. ? The development of wood screws progressed from a small cottage industry in the late 18th century to a highly mechanized industry by the mid-19th century. This rapid transformation is marked by several technical innovations that help identify the time that a screw was produced."

polygonum

Yes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You have obviously never seen any rusted corrugated iron.

879

Not possible with all of them, most obviously with the hinges.

Reply to
879

All the socket faceplate screws in my lounge are gently tightened to be horizontal.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Wonder how many keyboards that bugger has ruined.

Reply to
879

Depends very much on the effect you want and whether you are using powered screwdrivers or not and indeed the correct szed blade or head for whichever you choose.

You get fewer injuries with hand held posidrives than with slotted, but sometimes the aesthetics of slotted heads can be nice. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Agreed on the injuries!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It's good for the electricity. Encourages the electrons to behave in a uniform manner.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

They're the norm here, although you can also buy square drive screws. Pozi heads are IME confined to factory assembled stuff.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

En el artículo , ARW escribió:

My favourite screwdrivers are long-shaft (12") PZ1 and PZ2.

Am I alone in having favourite screwdrivers? :) They're the ones I reach for first, out of the collection of about two dozen in my toolbox.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The benefit of pozidrive is for power screwdrivers. They don't work well on slotted heads. The disadvantage is that there is only limited grinding can be done when the screwdriver wears. Flat screwsdriver can be sharpened up forever.

Reply to
harry

My favourites are my Weras followed by the insulated ones for electrical work.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Bod writes

Of course! The house is Victorian, and all hinges, door furniture etc uses slotted brass screws. Any form of cross headed screw stands out like the proverbial. I sometimes cheat and use a modern screw first, then replace it with brass slot head. Yes, of course all the slots should run north-south :-)

I scrounge old brass screws whenever I see 'em, then put them through a tumbler. They come out good as new.

Reply to
News

I don't know the sizes, but apparently the Wooler flat-4 engine could be dismantled with two open-ended spanners.

Reply to
PeterC

That's OK for DC, but surely for AC the slots should alternate.

Reply to
PeterC