Ping TMH (or rather his daughter)

In article , john james scribeth thus

No, But ambulance personnel can be told to look there it wont be of much use to anyone else..

Then Dave will have to reliably cart around something else attached to his person which it seems he, like a lot of people, might to forget to take with them;!..

Well its not rocket science to look for something that simple and read a simple number!..

What pray, could or would most of Joe public know of this and do you think most any person would start thumbing thru someone's clothes or about their person?..

Well thats as maybe and can affect quite a bit of the county in remote areas. If there were a standardised system then it may well be possible for the operator to ask someone if they could look out for a ring or something similar and ask then to read them that number..

Well its only for known conditions like say someone whose diabetic or who needs that level of care..

No its not, but I suppose it will happen one day if we let them;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

My SIL is a DC and was a PC. He tends to use the CID issue Blackberry rather than airwave because you can't always get a free channel.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don?t think that is very practical given how difficult it can be to get some rings off at times.

Whatever it is should allow a member of the general public to see what the medical condition is quickly, for the situation where it isn't feasible for the ambulance to show up quickly or when there is no way for the member of the public to even ring 999 and read out what is on the notification item.

That would allow the member of the public to know whether they need to have someone run to where ever an ambulance can be called from or whether there isn't that sort of urgency involved.

That isn't true of the sort of plastic bracelet that hospitals make you wear. Something that looks a bit better than that that is worn all the time even when sleeping and showering would fix that and would be at no risk of getting stolen when the individual is unconscious in public.

Only the most stupid wouldn?t notice something like the plastic thing hospitals make you wear.

and do you

They wouldn?t need to if its worn where its usual to check for a pulse.

But that doesn?t help if there is no communication with any operator and the member of the public needs to know if someone should be running to where an ambulance can be called from or if its not urgent and there is no need to run there and they can just see if they can assist the individual themselves initially and wait for say a car to come by and flag them down or something like that.

Reply to
john james

Data over airwave is pretty hopeless, maximum 7200 bps IIRC, of several fire services I know, not one uses airwave for data, just regular GPRS/3G/LTE, sometimes with "foreign" SIMs to get the benefit of roaming to any UK network ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Also, with a Cat A call the call taker will stay on the phone and if a member of the general public could provide the medical history, that would be sent to the MDT in the ambulance.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Capacity issues then...

Reply to
tony sayer

No not at all fast but for most apps quite good enough. Most all Taxi companies are using radio data around 1200 !..

Still Airwave is up for renewal in a few years time..

Reply to
tony sayer

Jesus! Talk about making a simple job difficult you only have to read a number not take the bloody thing off;!...

Yeah yeah of course; But the original requirement was a fool proof enough system that you would NOT be likely to forget to take with you!...

Reply to
tony sayer

So if you happen to have your medical problem when the riots are happening or during the olympics it would be much better if the plastic bracelet had a clear description of your medical condition rather than just a number that someone would have to call in to be told what about your medical condition.

Reply to
john james

In article , john james scribeth thus

In an Ideal world yes maybe.

But the world if far from ideal. Remember that a design requirement as best I remember was that a simple thing to be used by the person afflicted and to ensure that it was with them at ALL times. If there're OK wearing a bracelet then fine, but it seems to me that few were. I would find that something that I may well forget about Christ sakes sometimes I go out without my mobile even;!!..

Course it may well be that there're short of ambulances to, can't have too many awaiting around to attend to persons who live on remote hilltops and other sparsely populated places..

Course your average ambulance according the a friend of mine who looks after their systems have a mobile phone or two around with them.

A current trend among some mobile data systems is to have more than the one SIM card, so if one operator hasn't good coverage there then the other might, that has worked well for some..

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Whereas, a bracelet would probably work well for me, if I felt the need for one.

I wear a watch all the time, rarely taking it off, so wearing a bracelet all the time would be quite likely to be reliable. Ring maybe, but I don't liek wearing rings.

I wouldn't really trust anything that relied on technology.

Reply to
Chris French

I think the answer there is to design one that can't be easily removed that you wear the whole time and is comfortable to wear all the time. Only used by those who have a medical condition that does need someone to deal with the person properly for the best outcome.

Yeah I do too, but I never go out without my keys, essentially because there is no way to get the car going without them.

So it would be useful if the bracelet said very explicitly indeed that the individual needs to get assistance quickly if they are found unconscious and the problem isn't that they are prone to getting blind drunk and to not assume its just another bender.

Harder if they are just staggering around obviously out of it because its harder to check a bracelet in that situation and not very many are likely to be happy to have that tattooed on their forehead.

Yes, but that won't help Dave, because there is no mobile coverage in quite a few places where he might be found unconscious.

Sure, but not for Dave.

Lot to be said for a bracelet that can't be easily removed for Dave.

I'd likely wear one myself even tho I never ever wear any jewellery at all, ever, if I did have a medical condition that could see the right sort of assistance save my life.

Reply to
john james

Well go on be daring, get a bracelet;)..

Yes but most all of the NHS runs on tech. How do you think that ambulance gets its "shout"?.

How do you think people contact it in the first place?...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Context, context :-)

I'm obviously not meaning I don't trust 'anything' that relies on technology. phones, satanavs etc. are all jolly handy when you want to an ambulance to get to you

Rather in this context, a simple bracelet or whatever with the key info on it/contained within is pretty foolproof - barring it being stolen.

Something relies on a mobile phone connection , esp a data connection, has a big point of failure built right in if that network isn't available. Which isn't hard - we live in a decent sized Cambridgeshire village, but only have a GPRS connection, driving to my Mum's along one of the main roads, there are bits which can have no connection at all.

As an adjunct to the bracelet it could be beneficial, but I think it would be wrong to rely on it

Reply to
Chris French

The control room phones the station and a little man runs along a corridor with a piece of paper? Or is that only when the tech falls over?

In my case, using a Tele. 332 :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog