Ping TMH (or rather his daughter)

Having Parkinsons I'm on regular medication, at the moment not particularly time critical but as the brain rot progresses it will become time critical.

So looking ahead I'm looking for some form of "Medical ID". This can't really be an engraved thing as I want it to inform people that I have Parkinsons and have details of my the meds and how often I should take them.

I've had a quick look about the net and really only found bracelets or necklace lockets/capsules, wallet cards or USB memory devices that fit the rewriteable specification.

It's no good carrying the information if a medic can't read it, which really rules out the USB things. That leaves a bracelet/necklace locket/capsule or wallet cards.

What sort of medical ID does TMH's London Ambulance paramedic daughter consider to be the one they will most likely find?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

MedicAlert is perhaps the best service. Promoted by your local Lions club (and, from memory, possibly sponsored too) the Bracelet/jewellery (next to your pulse point) has brief details of your condition/s on it, and a phone number manned 24 hours a day (100 Languages?) so all you details are available to medics attending you very quickly, and anywhere in the world.

Bob Henson

Your NHS number will allow them to download your brief medical records from the spine. You could have that engraved on anything.

If you are diabetic it may be worth having that engraved too so someone can force feed you a mars bar in an emergency.

Reply to
dennis

A stainless steel medic alert bracelet worn on the wrist with your full details written inside on origami paper with a very fine black ink nib.

SOS Talisman ought to find them - also available in titanium.

These days you can get ones with USB sticks or sD memory cards in or smaller dedicated ones for specific allergies or afflictions.

Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone.

Reply to
Martin Brown

/Also worth having ICE numbers set up in your mobile phone./q

In Car Entertainment ?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In Case of Emergency

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Indeed. Not sure how that would work with a password-protected phone though. When my phone goes to sleep, it can receive incoming calls or make emergency calls - but that's all. Everything else needs a PIN to be input to wake it up. I doubt whether the network operators would regard ringing a number marked "ICE" as an emergency call.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In Circuit Emulator?

ICE - International Currency Exchange, a UK-based currency exchange provider Independent Commission of Experts, former name of the investigation into assets moved to Switzerland around the Second World War Independent Crown entities, part of New Zealand's State sector Information Council on the Environment, a public relations organization in the USA Institution of Civil Engineers, a British professional association Iron Crown Enterprises, game-producing company from Virginia, USA Institute for Credentialing Excellence, an institute for accreditation Institute of Culinary Education, in New York City, New York, USA Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad, the Costa Rican Institute of Electricity IntercontinentalExchange, an Atlanta-based market for futures in energy and commodities and for other derivatives The Ice Organisation, a UK sustainable rewards programme, also known as MyIce U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a U.S. government agency

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And the emergency services really do use them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'll ask her and get back to you.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Android phones will display the ICE information even if the phone is locked. Don't put anything in there that you want to keep a secret.

Reply to
dennis

Thanks. I'm thinking a locket on short necklace, as if I'm found catatonic they'll be looking for a pulse and the neck is the quickest and easiest place to look. Well it's a theory...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If they have a connection... I don't trust technology that requires a connection to function. There are large areas around here that don't have 2G let alone 3 or 4...

Some one didn't read the second word of my post.

You really ought to try and assertain if the diabetic is hyper- or hypo- glycemic before you shove sugar into them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As others have pointed out that is behind a pin or swipe pattern. There is the "owner information" that is displayed on the lock screen though. Not a bad idea.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Giving a hyper-glycemic diabetic sugar is considered less dangerous that not giving sugar to a hypo-glycemic diabetic.

If in doubt give sugar to the diabetic.

Reply to
Fredxxx

My phone an iPhone 5, and most smart phones, will let you display an opening screen before needing any password. I just made up an image with my various contact details on it so that any one attempting to use it sees them. You could add quite a bit of text to give medical info too.

Reply to
Bill

Any decent smartphone does Medical ID now and the paramedics know that.

Reply to
john james

No its not with the best phones.

Medical ID is displayed there with the best phones.

Reply to
john james

On 27 Feb 2015, "Dave Liquorice" grunted:

How about a small tattoo on throat just below the collar line? "Parkinsons' patient - see wallet" or something?

Ok, having written that down, maybe not: but I'll post it anyway!

Reply to
Lobster

Only if the helper has the appropriate medical qualification and hence has access to the spine. As not many doctors, whilst out shopping or whatever, carry a laptop with the appropriate VPN connection installed, a mobile phone to which they can connect it to get internet access, a card reader and the necessary security card to access the spine (it is normally left in their surgery computer reader) they might find access a tad difficult, and pointless since the patient would be dead by the time they had connected to the NHS's biggest white elephant. The best bet with the Mars bar would be to give it to a child as a bribe to run for help.

I take it you were not being serious about either.

Reply to
Bob Henson