Ping TMH (or rather his daughter)

If you want to be "belt and braces" have a bracelet too, that being the usual pulse point that most non-medical people would look for. Most used to opt for the bracelet some years back when I dealt with them.

Reply to
Bob Henson

I would be surprised if they didn't check every place that people normally carry medical alert information - neck, wrist and wallet.

Reply to
Nightjar

I thought the acronym was now widely known. We had an initiative round here where teenagers went around programming them into grannies phones.

That is an interesting point if the owner is out of it.

I wonder if smart phone makers could be persuaded to add an optional single ICE call button to the unlock screen so that someone other than the presumably incapacitated owner can make an emergency call!

Only other way I can think of it to design a custom screen saver that says please ring this number if you find me in trouble.

I got my mum a dumb phone with an emergency call button on it, but the stupid thing would only let me enter a 3 digit emergency number :(

She can remember 999 without any help from her phone.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yep mine has "owner information". I guess the owners of best phones have to be spoon fed that the information there is free form.

An extension to the owner info which actually isn't big enough to hold all the information I want to put in it. Good tip.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How much space and how restricted (free form/field based, what fields) is this Medical ID information?

Not that I'm going to change my phone just for this.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Most phones are big enough to put a label on the back with all the starting details required.

Reply to
Capitol

Isn't a card in your wallet a lot easier and more reliable?

Reply to
Huge

Anything you like, fully swipeable to as many screens as you like.

The only real consideration is that that info is available to anyone who steals or finds your phone.

You likely won't have to unless the phone is a real dinosaur.

That's available on all the reasonably recent androids and iphones that have been updated free.

Reply to
john james

Maybe, though I suspecct most of the Great Unwashed haven't a clue about first aid. CF. Police man recently praised as a hero for saving babys life by simply removing babys tongue from its throat. Mother was screaming down the phone which is what attracted the attention of the PC. WTF didn't mother check air way and remove tongue when baby first got into difficulty. Why did she leave baby whilst it was having a fit?

OK there's basically SFA you can do about someone in a fit but you can try and stop them hurting themselves, remove tongue from throat if they swallow it, prevent them drowing in their own vomit and put them into the recovery position once the fit has subsided. It's also a good idea to be around when they regain conciousness as they may well be very confused and not have a clue as to what has happened.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

True enough but I didn't say don't give sugar I said try and find out which extreme they are at. The chances are it is hypo- and that condition is more dangerous than hyper-.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bit technological, requires phone line/mobile service. Very patchy 2G coverage around here...

Bits of paper just work and the information is just there without having to call a number, give code, have information dictated and written down by caller.

Small bit of paper can get lost though. I do like the lock screen image idea.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is a Samsung Galaxy SIII mini "a real dinosaur"? I'm also assuming this is built into the OS rather than a lock screen app.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't always have my wallet or phone with me. Hence investigating lockets, I don't think I'd get on with a loose bracelet and I've not worn a watch for the best part of 25 years...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Needs to be easily updateable. Something on the outside of the case would have to be fairly robust. Inside the screen flap could work, if a label could be found that was water resistant (I work outside) and peeled away cleanly. But I don't always have my phone.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Get it tattooed on your chest?

Reply to
Huge

My phone (Android 4.4.4, Sony Xperia Z1) shows an ICE button on the lock screen, that opens the ICE contact, showing photo of ICE contact, and telephone number, email and address details. It will also allow the calling of the ICE contact from a locked handset.

Reply to
HarpingOn

That is where I keep a laminated card with my medications listed and another with information about my heart valve replacement. As the wallet is of a type that attaches to my belt and tucks inside the trouser waistband, the only time I won't have my wallet on me is when I have my trousers off.

Reply to
Nightjar

For android phones, this app may be useful -

Reply to
S Viemeister

On 27/02/2015 10:47, john james wrote: ...

That just about describes the phone my partner has. OTOH, so is the tariff she is on: originally offered by BT if you paid full price for the phone it has no monthly charges and 60 minutes a month free calls.

Reply to
Nightjar

That didn't help Nelson Rockefeller or Lord Palmerston ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog