Ping TMH (or rather his daughter)

In that case, would you care to explain how to do it - 'cos I haven't succeeded in making my phone do it. I have added a contact called 'ICE'

- with associated mobile and landline numbers - but, as far as I can see, there's no way of displaying that when the screen is locked.

If I swipe up to unlock the screen, it gives me the usual keypad to input my PIN. At the bottom of the screen it says "Emergency Calls". If I tap that rather than entering the PIN, it brings up an emergency dialler keypad. That is numeric only, with no access to the contacts list and - if I dial an ordinary number such as my landline - it rejects it on the basis that it's not a proper emergency number (such as 112 or

999).

What am I missing?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yeah but, drugs change their names far more frequently than most people change their chronic medical conditions. Are they supposed to update their medication list every time their drugs change? As I said, really no reason not to include medical condition unless it's something that you're sensitive about lay-people knowing about.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The drugs don't change name but there can be many brands of the same drug. One of mine has five difernt brand names but they are all the same drug

If the actual drug or the dose changes yes, brand is less important. Though I've just discovered I'm "brand sensitive" when the dose is not quite enough. This is a prolonged release medication and I suspect the release rates are different, so the faster one produces swings in abilty to think.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Odd that for a 24/7 service...

That's what I thought about them as well. Technology for technologies sake, whilst failing to do the job it's supposed to do.

There are capsules or flat locket type things. I shall have a harder look at what is avialable. They normally have the snake and sword emblem on them.

Useful, I probably wouldn't have put Name, DOB or NOK on the bit of paper. Short from address is probably a good idea as NOK rarely has her mobile on... With the drugs info that's quite a bit for a small slip of paper. First draft is 215 characters and 6 lines. How are medics with 6pt type?

Please pass on my thanks, there have been one or two useful ideas come from this thread.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For Parkinsons the most important is drug(s) and dose(s). All of which change as the disease progresses, every six months or so for me. So engraving isn't really practical.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That appears to be concealed, would a medic find it? Making it easy to find is why I'm going to go for a necklace locket/capsule of some sort. And custom lock screen image. I'm not worried about who knows, you can't hide a tremor all that easily. In fact I'd rather people did know so they know the reason for the tremor...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But to leave a baby that is struggling to breath? Surely common sense tells anybody to check for obstructions to the airway at the very least?

Ah "comon sense", only common in those with sense.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Fairy nuff. For me it's hypertension and allergies; for my son it's diabetes.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As I said, just repeating what she said. I did ask about medical conditions, but she said medications were all she would be interested in and that she would work things out from there.

As Chris French said "I think what TMH's daughter meant, was that in the context of a paramedic and an emergency situation they can probably tell from the medication the important things that matter to them, rather than do a full diagnosis."

A paramedics job isn't to specifically treat a patient, but to stabilise them & get them safely to the right treatment centre.

Only so much room on a small piece of paper :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Its a standard part of kitkat so why not ask your phone supplier where it is? Its a button next to the emergency call button.

Maybe you have to go into contacts and add some info before it shows, I don't recall.

Reply to
dennis

No, but they can put the name of the condition on the bracelet, and the details held on your behalf can be regularly updated as you require.

Reply to
Bob Henson

On 28/02/2015 00:45, Dave Liquorice wrote: ...

That is the staff of Asclepius, not a sword.

Reply to
Nightjar

/>

At the same level as would a smudge fire and a blanket to make smoke signals, i.e. barely. /q

As I say, perfectly in keeping :-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

It will cut down on the number of diabetics.

Reply to
dennis

Mine is basically a 1cm diameter waterproof steel cell with the details held inside on written origami paper folded over about 16x. The talisman comes with a proforma slip to fill in after that it is DIY.

Your paranoia is telling.

I doubt if anyone is really going to steal a stainless steel talisman bracelet off you (or a more valuable titanium one for that matter). OTOH Your mobile smart phone is almost certainly going to walk.

I do find it odd that the advice given earlier in the thread was to list allergies and medications rather than existing conditions but she is probably right that knowing the unconscious patients regular medications might be a lot more useful to a paramedic in extremis.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Rather harsh.

Reply to
Bob Eager

unless you have?opted out of the central database its also worth while putting your NHS number on any written info

-
Reply to
Mark

Have you missed the bit(s) where I have mentioned that even 2G coverage is patchy around here. The patches of no coverage being by far the larger.

Don't know what the coverage of the (Airwave?) Ambulance Radio is like but as AirWave almost certainly comes from the same site as the mobile phone signals...

Landline? They don't call this area "Englands last Wilderness" without reason. Head southish from here and once past the village a mile away you can keep going for 10+ miles and the only signs of human activity you'll see is long ago abandoned mine workings. No currently used buildings, no tracks, no paths. Just open moor and roughly 5 miles wide.

There are emergency phones at Moor House and Cow Green Reservior but I know BT struggle to keep Moor House working, it is 15 km (9 miles) from the exchange...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

harder

Ascle... who? Must be a celebrity, I've rarely heard of any of them either. B-)

TBH I've never really looked closely at the symbol before and the vague arrangement of snakes head and staff at top looks a bit like the grip and guard of a sword.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Chronic medical conditions change their names quite a bit over the longer period. And are very frequently misused within medicine itself. Further, whether a condition is primary, secondary, or even tertiary can have a profound effect on evaluation and treatment.

Reply to
polygonum