OT: oops not a good advert

They don't.

How the British come to think that pasta made in some third world country from low-grade wheat is connected with Italian cuisine is beyond me. Why not top it off with some red custard made with vinegar, modified starch, beetroot colouring and salt in a factory in Holland?

That unholy mess is what the Brits seem to think of as "Italian" cooking.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Pizza is nice but not the Italian stuff, that is just cheese on toast with a bit of ketchup.

Reply to
dennis

Pasta has hardly any flavour until you add herbs, sauce, cheese, onions, garlic, pepper and whatever else you will. It's like potato, just a vehicle for other flavours.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Semolina does have flavour and that is all pasta is.

Reply to
dennis

Then I must be one of the few people who buys potatoes by their variety because I like their particular flavour.

Still, I agree with you about pasta. The flavour is all in the sauce and seasoning. I like tricolore because it adds variety, but the difference in flavour is rather more subtle than the difference between varieties of potato.

Reply to
Bruce

And I agree with you. The differences between potatoes (variety, place grown, etc.) is huge.

Pasta - well I do rather like the black cuttle fish ink stuff. Definitely tastes a bit different.

Reply to
Rod

I grow them by variety to get different textures, flavours and colours. But I think you'll agree that we're in the minority, remember the Smash ad? There ARE differences in flavours of different pastas, made with different flours, but few people would eat them by themselves, with absolutely no additions (such as salt, oil, butter), I think the same is true of potatoes. I wouldn't enjoy a plate of potatoes of ANY kind without butter at least. Or rice - and I use several differnt varieties of rice for their diffeent flavours but they're very subtle.

I don't like the coloured pastas at all, either the colour or the bit of flavour.

No, pasta, like most other carbohydrates, is an enargy food, a bulker, as I said before a vehicle for other flavours.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's a new one on me - at first I wondered if you were joking (!) but I found quite a few references on the web (thanks to Google).

There were a couple of suggestions that, as with the tricolore, the difference was more in the appearance than in the flavour.

Reply to
Bruce

Actually had it in Venice (as well as back in Blighty). So I know it exists! But it does indeed sound a bit like a joke. Though it does have flavour, the full blown cuttle fish ink sauces are, IMHO, better.

Reply to
Rod

Profoundly incorrect. What you are describing is the bland supermarket mush common in the UK. Pasta has a proper flavour when it is made using the appropriate type of wheat and, if it is dried, if it is dried properly at low temperature rather than blast-dried in a steam oven.

You're also wrong about potatoes which have a wonderfully rich and diverse range of flavours.

Reply to
Steve Firth

TBH this is because you are buying s**te.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Again, if it tastes "a bit" different it's poor quality.

We do pasta in various flavours of wheat including kamut, spelt but especially slow-dried durum wheat pasta. We also do flavoured pasta in cuttlefish ink, basil, tricolore, tris, lemon, salmon, chilli, spinach, and heavens above knows how many other flavours.

Most people who buy it telephone after a couple of days to say that can't believe how good it is.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's been available for years.

Bleurch.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Eek! Smash!?!?! Yuk!

I think we agree. But aren't I supposed to be arguing? ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Indeed.

I bet you love couscous as well.

I say that different pastas taste a lot different.

But you wont notice it if they are smothered in strong sauce..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. But the tv advert at the time showed a happy family meal table, the wife asking husband what he thought of the potatoes, the husband looked puzzled, said (something like) "They're fine" and shrugged.

People didn't expect potatoes to taste different. I suggest that most people still don't. Just because a few of us here do doesn't change a thing.

Don't know about you but I'm EXPECTED to :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well I like em fried and in stews and neither need butter. Tatties that is.

Boiled and baked..well yes.

It's more than that., Its made with egg, and is sort of similar when doused in olive oil, to egg and chips.

Nutrition wise.

Now a bit o' bacon goes well with that..but you can eat it alone.

One of may favorit6e quick dishes is pasta, plus a little butter and a lot of cheese grated in, with some Frankfurters added.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely no-one loves couscous! It is something to be endured if it cannot be politely refused. Like sheep's eyeballs.

Reply to
Rod

I think your hypothesis is disproved by the fact that almost no one except frozen chip makers uses dehydrated mashed potato.

And the fact that a lot more than 'reds' 'whites' and 'king edwards' are for sale in most supermarkets.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I LURVE coscous.

Reply to