OT: oops not a good advert

area of food production that I know very well, Aldi and Lidl have been caught out in fraud, why should I beleive that everything else that they do is above board?
Not only that, but in other areas of food sales Aldi and Lidl manifestly act in bad faith, passing off German and Danish produce as Italian. I gave examples earlier. So it's not just olive oil that is affected by this shoddy sales technique, no matter how much you and the Medway Fuckwit try to make it so.
If you want to buy shit dressed up as Shinola that's entirely your choice. But wouldn't you at least like to see these companies forced to describe what they sell accurately so that you know what you are buying?
Steve Firth wrote:

Why should I give a toss whether something is Italian or Danish? It either tastes good or it doesn't
On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 18:59:22 +0100, stuart noble

You're right, if it's dogshit it doesn't matter much.
Derek

Well Aldi obviously think it's important enough to pass off Danish produce as Italian. Why not ask them why they do it?
Steve Firth wrote:

Danish pasta, Italian bacon? As I said, I really don't give a toss.

Are you hard of reading? I pointed out that Aldi obviously see it as important to pass off Danish produce as Italian. Now I'll add "even if you don't".
You may well be too thick to see that passing one thin off as another is fraud, but Aldi are obviously clued up to the fact that cheap substitutes sell for a higher price or sell faster if they are labelled as something that they are not.
Hwever thanks for the concrete evidence that the average moronic Brit would indeed eat a dogturd srinkled with icing sugar if it were to be packaged properly and sold cheap enough.
On Oct 12, 4:18pm, % snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

So, if I'm one of your "average British consumer [who] doesn't know what good food is", how/why would I know or care what "Aosta Ham" might be? To me it's just another BS marketing name and I don't care where it comes from. How am I being duped if I'm not making a purchase based on something I know nothing about?
MBQ

So because you're ignorant Aldi should be allowed to get away with fraud? Do you apply this rule to all aspects of business?
On Oct 13, 5:08pm, % snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

I'm not ignorant. But if the average british shopper is as ignorant as you seem to think, then the fraud would be pointless. Aldi could invent any old name for a product and charge a higher price for it. No need to pretend it's something it isn't if that pretence goes completely over the heads of the customers.
MBQ
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 06:41:55 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"

bottled water.
--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ http://www.pherber.com /

British consumers seem to associate Italian with tasty food, even if they don't know what Italian food and cooking is. Close to where I work, there are four "Italian" restaurants. I've tried all of them and have chatted with all the owners. The owners are Portugese, French, Maltese and Egyptian. None of them serve Italian food, they all serve some British pastiche on Italian food. Since the pretence is obviously going over the heads of the customers, why do these establishments pass themselves off as "Italian"?
Steve Firth wrote:

I am not familiar with Aosta Ham - so I looked around the web to see if I could understand the issues. Seems there is Aosta Valley Ham - a wonderful DOP product and Aosta Ham - a French industrially produced ham.
Which are Aldi actually claiming their ham to be?
--
Rod

They sell ham with the label "Aosta" on it, and on the back of the product in tiny letters the wors "made in German".

If they wanted to hide the country of origin they could have put 'made in the EU'
Where is Cheddar Cheese manufactured?
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Alan wrote:

That, however, is specifically a process (cheddarising) rather than from a named place.
--
Rod

Where are Melton Mowbray pies manufactured ?
Derek
Derek Kildare's wrote:

If all goes well only in Melton Mow bray - http://www.mmppa.co.uk/about.html

Got the nod last week.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article4881370.ece
--
PeterMcC

Steve Firth wrote:

Is that in any way different to the French manufacurers who (probably?, possibly?) put a label on saying "Aosta" and letters (tiny or otherwise) "Made in France"? (I don't have any to hand to check! :-) )
--
Rod

At some places the difference is as little as the width of the river Rhine. ;-)
BTW each and all, the I've got a salami in the fridge bought from T*sco, made in Belgium by a company calling itself Aoste. http://www.aoste.com no mention of hams on the website.
No name, no address just a "BE" EU meat marking.
Derek