OT: oops not a good advert

Aldi's new saying.

Don't change your lifestyle...change your supermarket.

lol

Reply to
George

Try reading which newsgroup you're posting to. That saying has been on TV and radio for months and if you were clever enough you would understand it. Obviously you're not as you don't realise this is a DIY newsgroup.

Reply to
Ian

Who rattled your bleedin cage? since I post a lot of Aldi stuff in here I think I did choose the right group I did put OT if it has escaped your notice that means if you don't want to read OT stuff then you're not obliged to read it.

Your name suits you...Ian Beale will be proud of you.

Reply to
George

I don't get why it's funny.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Since they get a lot of stick about their groceries and goods its inappropriate.

Forget it anyway as it bothers the newbies.

Reply to
George

In message , George wrote

Around my way, 4 weeks ago their car parks used to be a quarter full and parking was easy. They are now full with people waiting for a space to become vacated. The car park isn't small! That's a lot of people new to Aldi and I guess the new trade is coming back on a regular basis.

Reply to
Alan

The majority of their 'groceries and goods' are of a far better quality than most of their competitors. All people need to do is to forget their pre-conceived ideas (and the advertising hype) about the "quality" of the good of British (and American) run supermarkets - and at least the bargains of Aldi and Lidl are genuine.

Unlike the type of offers of some of their competitors who 'roll-back' the prices of some of their goods as a promotion - and then promptly 'roll' that 'saved' price back onto other stock that's not part of the promotion - and very often adding a 'bit extra' as well (I've seen around 30% price rises on some of the goods that we buy as a result of this [and then left the stuff on the shelf]).

But I digress, this is a DiY group and perhaps this thread should be elsewhere - unless of course the weekly shopping can be considered a DiY task in the loosest possible sense.... It certainly loosens the money out of my pocket every week! ;-)

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

========================================= 'Custom and practice' appear to have made it a rather general discussion group and it doesn't appear to have suffered unduly for the fact. It's still strongly DIY based and can easily stand a bit of extraneous posting.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The campaign is timely and will be effective. They are cashing in on the economic climate, and who can blame them.

Reply to
Graham.

Yes, a large number of people have moved down a notch when it comes to supermarkets. M&S and Waitrose have seen a very significant drop off, and the ones at the bottom have seen very significant rise. I don't think the former M&S clientele have gone direct to ALDI/LIDL though, rather more like they now go to Sainsburys, former Sainsburys customers now going to Tesco, former Tesco customers now going to ASDA, etc...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I quite agree - and if not 'done to death', makes the group all the richer to read and follow.

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

In message , Andrew Gabriel wrote

Judging by the new crop of cars in the Aldi car parks it looks like Harrods customers have moved down a few notches bypassing Sainsbury/Tesco/ASDA.

Reply to
Alan

And former Morrisons customers are now going to Netto. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Very easy to miss Sainsbury in High Wycombe. They just closed it!

Actually, they have built a temporary store, while they build a new £30 million one. But the small temporary one is actually nicer than the old one. (The old one was just 22 years old and is, I have read, being demolished. Not much life for something as large as a supermarket. Wonder how the green credentials work out on this one?)

Reply to
Rod

Actually some quite good pictures here of the temporary store - before, during and after being built.

Reply to
Rod

i dunno, in germany where aldi comes from, they dont seem to be seen as low end places, they sell the same stuff you get in the other supermarkets over there, just at better prices as they sell the stuff off the pallet rather than fancy shelves with lcd price labels and tft screens every few feet with adverts for what your life simply cant be complete without.

i just wish aldi uk would stock more genuine german stuff, some nice schnitzels and jager sauce, curry wurst sauce and so on.

Reply to
gazz

Not been in either of those, so I wouldn't know where they are in the pecking order.

The other way of doing this is to do what happened in Dunstable over the course of 25 years. Waitrose closes down and becomes a Summerfield. Summerfield closes down and becomes a Kwiksave. Kwiksave goes bust and the store is boarded up. At least until the last part, there's no inconveniencing the customers - they can just keep going to the same place.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Then I'm surprised that you bothered to stoop so low as to reply.

Reply to
Bruce

My mum has long referred to her local Lidl as her 'Fortnum and Masons' particularly after eating some of their pate and smoked salmon.

Reply to
OG

Time to bring Mr Gubay's baby out of receivership me thinks.

[snip]
Reply to
Clot