OT: oops not a good advert

Danish pasta, Italian bacon? As I said, I really don't give a toss.

Reply to
stuart noble

Are you hard of reading? I pointed out that Aldi obviously see it as important to pass off Danish produce as Italian. Now I'll add "even if you don't".

You may well be too thick to see that passing one thin off as another is fraud, but Aldi are obviously clued up to the fact that cheap substitutes sell for a higher price or sell faster if they are labelled as something that they are not.

Hwever thanks for the concrete evidence that the average moronic Brit would indeed eat a dogturd srinkled with icing sugar if it were to be packaged properly and sold cheap enough.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So, if I'm one of your "average British consumer [who] doesn't know what good food is", how/why would I know or care what "Aosta Ham" might be? To me it's just another BS marketing name and I don't care where it comes from. How am I being duped if I'm not making a purchase based on something I know nothing about?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So because you're ignorant Aldi should be allowed to get away with fraud? Do you apply this rule to all aspects of business?

Reply to
Steve Firth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Alan saying something like:

I use two banana boxes, cunningly chosen for size so one fits inside the other. As I go round the doubled up boxes sit in the trolley and the trolley gets filled as normal, but I tend to get meats and frozen stuff at the one stage. At the checkout, the trolley is emptied onto the belt and I keep most of the meats+ frozen stuff together, so at the till end of the checkout I can fill one box sitting in the trolley with tins, jars, bottles, and the other with the frozen gear, in no more time than it takes to fill the trolley normally.

Wheel it out, lift out the boxes into the vehicle, a few bags of packing and Bab's yer Auntie.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'm not ignorant. But if the average british shopper is as ignorant as you seem to think, then the fraud would be pointless. Aldi could invent any old name for a product and charge a higher price for it. No need to pretend it's something it isn't if that pretence goes completely over the heads of the customers.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

bottled water.

Reply to
Paul Herber

British consumers seem to associate Italian with tasty food, even if they don't know what Italian food and cooking is. Close to where I work, there are four "Italian" restaurants. I've tried all of them and have chatted with all the owners. The owners are Portugese, French, Maltese and Egyptian. None of them serve Italian food, they all serve some British pastiche on Italian food. Since the pretence is obviously going over the heads of the customers, why do these establishments pass themselves off as "Italian"?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I am not familiar with Aosta Ham - so I looked around the web to see if I could understand the issues. Seems there is Aosta Valley Ham - a wonderful DOP product and Aosta Ham - a French industrially produced ham.

Which are Aldi actually claiming their ham to be?

Reply to
Rod

They sell ham with the label "Aosta" on it, and on the back of the product in tiny letters the wors "made in German".

Reply to
Steve Firth

If they wanted to hide the country of origin they could have put 'made in the EU'

Where is Cheddar Cheese manufactured?

Reply to
Alan

That, however, is specifically a process (cheddarising) rather than from a named place.

Reply to
Rod

Is that in any way different to the French manufacurers who (probably?, possibly?) put a label on saying "Aosta" and letters (tiny or otherwise) "Made in France"? (I don't have any to hand to check! :-) )

Reply to
Rod

Where are Melton Mowbray pies manufactured ?

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

At some places the difference is as little as the width of the river Rhine. ;-)

BTW each and all, the I've got a salami in the fridge bought from T*sco, made in Belgium by a company calling itself Aoste.

no mention of hams on the website.

No name, no address just a "BE" EU meat marking.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

If all goes well only in Melton Mow bray -

Chewbacca

PeterMcC

How the Italians have got away with serving pasta in 100 different shapes and calling it a cuisine is beyond me

Reply to
stuart noble

I don't mind that in general. But I dislike shapes that cook differentially - part over-cooked, part under-cooked and, if you are lucky, some just right. Lots of the more complex shapes seem to do this. Keep to the geometrically simple ones and they are fine.

Reply to
Rod

About as dull as pizza IMO.

Reply to