OT: oops not a good advert

... and Pringles.

Are we getting a problem in tenses here? "People didn't expect..." and "... are for sale ..."? Cross purposes?

Reply to
Rod

That's probably because most peel them then fry, roast or make mash with them with adding flavourings. Much easier to tell the different tastes if simply washed in their skins then boiled.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And cauliflower stalks.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Then covered with an equal amount of butter...

Reply to
stuart noble

Couscous is just another pasta shape. It has the benefit of being very easy to prepare - pour on very hot water, stir and wait a few minutes. No additional heat needed. It shares with other forms of pasta the ability to take on almost any flavour.

I like to flavour it with mild curry powder and add some dried fruit (e.g. sultanas) at the same time as the hot water. It is delicious, easy and quick as well as healthy.

What's not to like?

Reply to
Bruce

I think butter and fruit is excellent. SWMBO also uses pine nuts toasted, and often vegetables fried up as well. Peppers if roasted and peeled go well, and olive oil is a great alternative to butter.

One nice disk is mutton, or oldish lamb,diced and fried up with a few onions, then stewed in dried apricots with a bit of brown sugar, nd some spices..cinnamon and possibly nutmeg, maybe corainder, accompanied by couscous.

Serve with fresh roasted sweet peppers..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In theory, but it does seem particularly tasteless.

It has the benefit of being

I think dried fruit is the key. Some of those North African dishes are well tasty, but I suspect they steam it to stop it going mushy. I wonder why it's generally preferred to pasta in the Arab world

Reply to
stuart noble

Texture/mouth feel. Flavour (lack of). Smell. The things that get put with it (in the UK, at least).

I do agree that it sounds as if it *should be* quite similar to pasta (which I do like), but somehow it just ain't.

Maybe it is easier to transport on a camel without it breaking up?

Reply to
Rod

It is identical to pasta - identical ingredients, primarily durum wheat. Just a different shape, that's all.

As for the flavour and smell, it doesn't have any of its own. The smell comes from whatever you use to flavour it.

Reply to
Bruce

I like it and it's versatile as well as being easy.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've never steamed cous cous and I don't know anyone who does - including Africans.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It DOES! If you can't smell it I suggest that you have a physiological problem :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mushy? thats down to uising just enough water and standing it long enough to fully absorb it, and a light dusting of olive oil, same as pasta.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No need for a couscousiere then

Reply to
stuart noble

A WHAT???

Doesn't sound African to me ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I do agree - my nose says it has a distinct smell. But people do vary for lots of reasons.

Reply to
Rod

_North_ Africa.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Pasta doesn't smell. And couscous is just another shape of pasta, so why would it smell when pasta doesn't?

Reply to
Bruce

Dry pasta or couscous has very little smell. However, once there is sufficient moisture around it, there is IMHO a distinct smell. Not strong, but definite. And, again IMHO, couscous and pasta smell different to each other.

Reply to
Rod

The couscousiere is a steamer for cooking couscous. It is of North African origin. The word is derived from the Arabic 'couscous' with the "iere" ending suggesting French for a cooking vessel - much of North Africa having been colonised by France.

Most of the couscous we buy in the UK is processed. It has already been soaked, rinsed and steamed. It is then dried and packed ready to be rehydrated by the addition of the correct amount of hot or boiling water. After about 5 minutes, the water has been absorbed, and the couscous grains can be teased with a fork to produce something that is a very close approximation to couscous made by the traditional method.

Reply to
Bruce