OT: oops not a good advert

They have some excellent value cheese too. Pre sliced Emmenthal at a fraction of Tesco prices. Tastes just the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well there was that one that said 'Blah balh bank: I should change your bank'

and I always thought it was a nod and a wink to those watching from the ad agency.

To change AWAY from the sponsors ;-0

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There can be a stigma attached to being seen in these discount type stores in this country. As you say, it is not a problem in many other places. As money gets tighter, these people tend to swollow their pride.

Reply to
Graham.

Perhaps you are judging him too harshly. With a name like Gabriel he likley uses the barter system at the Ambridge Farmers' Market.

Reply to
Graham.

There was a short lived campaign in the 60s with the tagline "Please, don't cook with Kerrygold"

I think that was to deep for Mrs Average Housewife at the time.

Reply to
Graham.

Discuss-It-Yourself then!

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Eh? So you'd not use Waitrose either - preferring your corner shop where prices are higher?

Lidl and Aldi tend to have a much more restricted range of groceries on sale than the large branches of Sainsburys etc. Which won't suit the better heeled with money to burn.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do try and keep up. It's 'T's they use now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our local Aldi is having an extension built for expansion.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The concept of shopping every week is awful :-(

We both hate shopping so much (except at Waitrose which we do every six weeks or so) that we go together so that one of us isn't suffering alone.

That's love!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm trying to think of a reason to use Waitrose for this since their strengths (supermarket wise) tend to be mainly in fresh produce. Certainly not prices for the things you can stock up on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Prices aren't everything. Food is the last thing I'd economise on. The quality of Waitrose own products is the best we've found. The range of fresh products is the best I've seen. The service is beyond par.

We spend very little money on anything other than food and wine so we can afford to live well.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I use it because it's 2 minutes walk from the front door. I also support its ethics of paying farmers more reasonable rates for produce (such as milk at 3p/l more than the other supermarkets, so farmers can actually make some money), and searching out and encouraging local sources of food.

Until a few weeks ago, there was a Sommerfield about 4 minutes walk from the front door, which I would occasionally use too, but it just closed, and is being converted into a bigger Sainsbury's.

There's a large ASDA a short car ride away, but as ASDA's go, it's a rather grotty one (I've seen much better ones). I used to use that sometimes, but stopped when the local council decided to charge for parking at all times.

Also use Costco (and I've found Costco in the US will accept my UK Costco card too.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They often sell surprisingly high quality goods, but you need to know German brands to get the best bargains.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Nominally. For those of us who have been posting here for years, it is a place to exchange views on a wide variety of subjects. Anything noted as being OT can be expected to have little if anything to with DIY, but that is within the accepted behaviour on this group.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

My point is that I'd rather have fresh produce - not stuff up to 6 weeks old.

Supermarkets are rarely the best suppliers of either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Was in the Quadrant yesterday, looks like most of Dunstable is closing down

Reply to
Corporal Jones

"nightjar" They often sell surprisingly high quality goods, but you need to know German

They also sell adulterated shit at dumping prices. If you don't care about what crap you stick in your mouth, shop at Aldi/Lidl.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We grow much of our own produce. Much of our other food can be stored in the freezer. Some by its nature needs no special storage and is perfectly good for longer than six weeks.

Waitrose is an excellent supplier of both - but we don't buy most of our wine there.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

All the ethics of Waitrose are admirable, but I agree about it's suppliers. One of our farmer friends says that Waitrose is the only supermarket they'll supply because it's the only one which treats them fairly. That's high praise.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher