Internal French door

Hi All, We've just had a conservatory fitted (external work only) and I'm replacing the old external french doors between the kitchen and the new conservatory with internal french doors (much cheaper). Does anyone know of a building regs reason why I cannot do this?

To achieve this I have to reduce the opening as there's about 100mm difference between (standard) internal and external french doors. My question is should I fit the frame before plastering i.e. fitted to the brick work and then plaster up to it, or should I plaster first and then fit the frame?

Thanks in advance Martin

Reply to
Martin

Anyone any advise on this topic.

Thanks Martin

Reply to
Martin

Fit the frame first making sure it's true and square by packing from the brickwork, etc. Then plaster to make good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The door *must* comply with external standards, or the conservatory will fall under the realm of an extension. It then has to meet the requirements of the building regulations (which most conservatories wont) and probably require planning permission.

Reply to
Matt

Yes, don't top-post! :-)

Can't *think* of any reason myself; but if I were you I'd simply ring the BCO and ask him the question.

How are you filling the gap? If it were me, I'd probably attach 2" thick timber to either side of the opening; fit the french *windows*; then make good with plasterboard/plaster.

David

Reply to
Lobster

always plaster second and I'd go for the internal doors and a good doo

supplier should have several different standard sizes in stock

6'6'' x 2'6'', 6'6 x 2'3'', 6'6'' x 2'9'', 6'8'' x 2'8'' These ar trade standard sizes for internal door

-- vonryan

Reply to
vonryan

I see your point, however I contacted the building inspector (unfortunately not the one doing the inspection) and head said it would be ok as long as they were good internal doors. hmmm think I might give them a call back and question this further. Pity I've already reduced the opening :-(

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

I checked this out with the building inspector yesterday and he said that good fitting (i.e. minimum draft) internal doors would be fine.

Martin

Reply to
Martin