Internal Door Lock

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can get an internal door lock to replace a standard catch?

I have converted the back bedroom into an office and want to be able to lock it up when I am away. I know I could fit an external door lock but don't really want to have to start drilling out the door.

What I am thinking is something like the ones you get for bathrooms but with a removable key.

Reply to
Sean Delere

What level of security are you after - what do you want to achieve? To stop burglars getting in? In which case I wouldn't bother; once they're inside the house they'll just go straight through any internal door, just adding to your repair bill. Just to stop your toddlers wandering in and rummaging around? How about one of these:

(or
fitted near the top - very unobtrusive.

When you say you don't want to start "drilling out the door", do you mean you're trying to avoid any form of carpentry? That would mean you need something which works by stopping the doorhandle from turning, rather than having a separate bolt sliding out into a recess on the doorframe, right? You can get door knobs where you insert a Yale-type key down the middle of the door knob; but I don't know the mechanism of those or whether they avoid the separate bolt.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It is just a case of stopping the cleaner wondering in rather than toddlers.

So far the Screwfix thing is about the closest I have found. It is nothing like what I want but it would do the job.

I have no problems with carpentry, its just that I don't want to wreck the door and frames paint job fitting a different sized handle. I was hoping for the straight replacement using a 'key down the middle of the door knob' job but I can't find a supplier anywhere.

Thanks for your time Lobster

Reply to
Sean Delere

Wouldn't postit with "please do not clean this room" on it do?

Reply to
Geoffrey

What about a rack bolt type window lock. Very unobtrusive.

But what do you not want the cleaner to see? No man is a hero to his valet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If nobody knows where to buy these locking door handles from I may have to do that

I do run a business from home and don't really want really want the cleaner coming in though.

Reply to
Sean Delere

Possible - still looking for a straight replacement though

I run a small Silver jewellery business and usually have bits and bobs just hanging around the office. They may not be expensive but they are shiny and I don't want to tempt a Magpie.

Reply to
Sean Delere