Oven warm-up times

Hi all I'm looking at new appliances for a kitchen update, and being an Engineer, various unpublished performance criteria are important to me, in this case oven warm up times. So anybody lumbered with particularly poor brands? Anything noticeably fast out there?

A benchmark of cold-200C would be a good starting point. 10 mins would be good I reckon.

I haven't yet decided on single or double oven, although Baumatic looks good VFM, almost bought a B905.1 today, then thought more research was needed.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

I don't have the formula to hand but you can calculate this from the wattage and volume of the oven and starting temperature (~20C).

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

I mean external ambient temperature not starting temperature.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

In message , Martin writes

In practice too many unknowns, power of the over element being quite difficult to find out in the first place. Never mind thermal inertia of the materials, rate of heat loss etc, etc.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

Agreed probably much easier to get the manufacture to specify it.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Just tried a Manor House oven (Wickes brand, I think). It's a fan-only oven (the element is in the fan box, so you can't use it without the fan). Timings:

50C 1.5 minutes 75C 2 100C 2.5 125C 3.5 150C 4.5 175C 5 200C 6

I can't read the rating plate (the printing ink seems to have been grease soluable), but it had a molded 13A plug on it, so it can't be more than 3kW. It's probably around 7 years old.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In general I would expect fan assisted ovens to be quicker than non fan assisted.

So if you are looking for speed the fan assisted might be the way to go.

Then again for fast cooking there are microwaves, but they don't warm up!

Reply to
Michael Chare

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

That's excellent! Since starting the thread, I checked the base line with mine, an ~14yr old Creda single oven. 15 mins to 200C. Yawn. Says

3kw total load, but I expect that to be the grill, the oven is probably less.
Reply to
Steven Briggs

In message , Michael Chare writes

Yes indeed, though I was particularly thinking fan ovens in this case. E.G Stuff out of the freezer that calls for say 40 mins in an oven, so for speed I give it 10 mins in the microwave on 1/2 power while the main oven heats up, then pop it in there for 15-20mins to finish off.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

If it's got sidewall elements, they have to heat up the liners before the heat gets into the centre of the oven, and I think the type of fan oven with fanned element is always going to beat this. A regular oven which just has a switchable fan at the rear would probably come somewhere between.

Also might be worth checking both sidewall elements are still working. Failure of one element will cause excessive warm-up time, although probably significantly longer than you are experiencing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Steven Briggs writes

IME, You don't really need to wait for fan ovens to heat up, just stick the stuff in and turn it on. {Presumably becuase they haet up a lot quicker than an un-fanned oven

Reply to
chris French

I won't add to the other replies on the practicalities of measuring the time taken to come to temperature; but I will say that our new Neff double oven is significantly quicker than the Neff single oven that it replaces; obviously each cavity is significantly smaller than the cavity for the single oven, which probably explains the times.

Interestingly, for me anyway, I find that we use the smaller of the two ovens 95% of the time, which presumably is more economical than the larger cavity, and more so than the old single oven that it replaced.

So I can't fit a huge turkey in for XMas?, damn, still, as SHMBO is veggie that's hardly an issue.

If you still haven't decided single / double, consider the above - I wouldn't look back at a single again.

(Oh, and yes, very occasionally we do find a use for both cavities)

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I've almost the opposite the opposite experience .... :) Use the lower oven in fan-mode most frequently {it has top-heat elements, side heat element and a bottom-heat element which get ganged-together via some knobbery ... apparently it's all to do with cakes, soufflés, etc. etc..) The top oven is limited to a top element and a bottom element without a fan. [The top exposed element is for grilling], Apart from using the top cavity for grilling food we mostly use it for plate warming and 'stacking' food which has been cooked. It's obviously horse for courses ... Now is cheval 190 deg at fifty minutes per Kilogram?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Miele is like the proverbial poo off a stick when it comes to warming up.

Also the cupboards either side stay cool and it takes an age to cool down. Which suggests to my mind that it has good insulation.

Our previous oven was badged as RAM 2000, but was I suspect identical to the baumatics of the time and I wasn't impressed with it. Someone many years ago told of how the neon indicator on his baumatic hob had broken due to too much heat reaching it. Our RAM 2000 hob was equally rubbish.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

We have a swanky spanky Neff Combi above a swanky Neff "ordinairy" oven. to date we have only used the combi as it's so damn convienient and a better working height, but, with the "SSS" button it heats up bloody fast like over 50% faster than any other oven I have seen! at a guess I would say in the region of 5 to 7 minutes to 200.

Reply to
PeTe33

I dont see how youre going to get the data. Mfrs wont give it to you, retailers wont have the first clue, and user reports here may be inaccurate as well as sparse.

At best we can talk about general trends, and report one or 2 measured times. I would expect combi ovens to be the fastest of all (microwave and fan), least theyve always been quicker than full size ovens IME.

One could always retrofit a higher power element to a fan oven, though doing so would compromise the temperature safety margins, ie if the stat welded shut it could no longer be guaranteed not to catch fire. To a fair extent one could address by fitting a 2nd safety stat.

Thats about all I can offer. Other than asking why its so important. You doing chem processes in it?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If the grill and oven are combined in the same enclosure, you can turn on the grill and oven at the same time with the door closed, obviously. Heats up in no time, but you have to guess when it's too hot or you'll burn out the grill element ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Indeed. Just a hope one or two bods might be able to say e.g. brand X is poor, wouldn't buy another etc. Plus as posted elsewhere, my current oven is slower than I would like.

Not mega important, just like anyone else I don't want to spend 500 notes on a lemon. Also a few comments from the Google archive & the low rating plate of the Baumatic (3.95kW, for a multifunction double) makes concerned.

Reply to
Steven Briggs

In message , sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Can't do that on my old one, there's a door switch. Door closed = oven can be used, door open = grill can be used. Destined for the nearest WEEE pile soon.

Reply to
Steven Briggs