220 Volt kitchen appliances at Bestbuy

I found several kitchen appliances that use 220 volt at Bestbuy's website. I wonder how people would use them. I know washers and dryers use 4 prone plug for 220 volt. I can't image kitchen appliances also use

4 prong plugs. They use 3 prone plugs. How do one get 220 volt receptacles of 1 live, 1 neutral, 1 ground in a kitchen?
Reply to
Jerry Salinsky

How about a link to thee appliances. A quick check of the BestBuy web site shows no 220V appliances. Are you looking at a European version?

They use a 2 prong 220.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The 220 volt kitchen appliances are not normally used in the home. Mostly commercial. The 220 volt ones do not have a neutral, but 2 live wires and a ground. The older devices such as dryers could have 3 wire

220 volts. They would have 2 hots and the neutral and ground would be the same wire. Older homes are still wired for the 3 wire stoves and dryers. Appliances of 220 volts often have a strap to connect the neutral and ground (frame) on that needs to be removed if hooked to the 4 wire plug.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Jerry Salinsky

You are talking about American 220V for dryers and washers. British 220 V uses three wires, live, neutral, and ground. It's 220 v between L-N and L-G. It doesn't use 2 110 v to make up 220 v like the US does.

Check out the following page. Only five items on the page. There are two kettles which are so small. I doubt they are used for commercial.

Jerry Salinsky

The Corvo kettle comes in North American and European versions.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I'd like to see the plug. I notice they are not in stock, take 8 days. I guess some people would like the kettle, very common in Europe and easy enough to have a plug installed.

The kettles do heat fast. If you used one regularly you would probably still want it and be willing to pay for the installation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That begs a question - can a European 220 v. receptacle be installed in North America - and pass inspection .. ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Had one on our old Frigidaire range and used it for a 220 volt mixer

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A retro-fit DIY one I assume ? .. and re-wiring an appliance isn't code or inspection worthy. John T.

Reply to
hubops

IIRC it was a frigidaire part that was installed replacing one of the stovetop receptacles - the stove was made in the late 50s or early 60s

- it was 20 years old when my wife bought her house and it came with the house. It had a pull-out oven too

Reply to
Clare Snyder

These ladies feel like Queens with their new ranges !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

My sister lived in Germany for about 35 years and when she moved back to the States, she brought her favorite kitchen appliances with her. She had the kitchen island receptacles converted to 240 volt so that she could continue to use her appliances.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

alt.home.repair is almost entirely US + Canada.

uk.d-i-y is UK

There are major differences between the US and UK electrical

Reply to
bud--

Not enough difference that most appliances from one won't work on the other with the correct connections. Some things with syncronous motors won't like 50 vs 60 cycle - 60 cycle transformers don't like 50, but

50 likes 60 just fine AFAIK if you use the correct outlets , wire size, and fusing 240 or 220 volt oputlets DO meet code
Reply to
Clare Snyder

I'd like to see the plug too. I pulled up two of these 8 items and the only place it says 220V is in the spec section. Right next to that it says 120 watts for both a coffee grinder and kettle. The kettle for sure isn't 120 watts. I would not be surprised if this is just a case where someone populated the database fields wrong. I'd like to have water heat up in half the time, be nice if kitchens started offering 240V receptacles, but I'm not going the trouble to put one in. Mostly use the kettle for making coffee. I get that going first. Then I clean out the French press, grind the coffee, get the 1/2 and 1/2 and by then the water is almost ready.

Reply to
trader_4

But the US 220 volt uses two 110 volt wires to achieve 220 volt. There is NO 220 volt wire. The wires in a three-wire receptacle are 110 volt,

110 volt, ground. The European 220 volt uses only one 220 volt wire, not two 110 volt wires. The wires are 220 volt, neutral, ground.

How do appliances from one connect to the other?

Reply to
Jerry Salinsky

Just do what this guy says :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Except, of course, in the parts of the world where 220 volt kitchen appliances are used in the the home (UK, et alia).

Think outside of your small little box, Ralph.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

No, it is not. half the posts come from the UK and Australia. Most of that half is garbage, note.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal