Badly fitted door?

Hi. I had a Rockdoor fitted recently. I have a small problem. The key can't be turned unless I pull on the door at the same time. Leaving, I have to p ush. I can see that the seal is not evenly compressed around the door. It's tight at the top and bottom but not in the middle. As if the frame or door is bowed.

After weeks of saying that's how these modern doors are, someone has had a look and explained to my wife that our bricks are not even such is causing the kink.

I can't see how that would bend the frame in that direction.

What do people think and how could I get a second opinion?

Thanks.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

Use a spirit level (longish one) and check the door frame and the actual door for vertical alignment.

Reply to
ss

From the description it sounds as though one part may not be straight. But a long spirit level should also help diagnosis.

Reply to
newshound

I have a long plank of wood I could use. But even if I show that the frame is bent, they'll say it's the bricks that the frame is mounted on which doesn't sound right.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

I am not a tradesman but I think if the bricks were out of plumb then packers should have been used.

Reply to
ss

yes, it's no-go as an excuse.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

They are the ones who fixed it to the brickwork, and they get to choose where to drill them. So it does not really matter what the bricks do!

(could you not just free the middle frame fastening to let the frame spring "straight" and then redrill for a new fixing?

Reply to
John Rumm

No, the frame should always be fitted level, plumb, straight and true - regardless of the opening.

Reply to
Andy Burns

How the frame is fitted to the opening is the important bit. No bricks are perfectly even so you need to use wedges to take up gaps, and make sure it is perfectly level and square when screwed in place.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Who measured up the door before ordering?

Reply to
Andy Burns

No brickwork is completely flat. Frames are easily bent out of true by the fixing screws. When door frames are installed, Packing pieces are put under it to make up irregularities/prevent it from being distorted. Either bits of wood or, these days, plastic.

Cement/ render may be additionally squeezed under it afterwards. This is why door fitters/carpenters are skilled. It seems yours weren't. Not uncommon these days. It's definitely crap workmanship.

Reply to
harry

The wood its made from is the usual crap and as the dampness changes so does the door or frame. However if its not actually wood I've still seen it happen in warm weather, presumably due to expansion of the metal inside or something similar. if its a new fit, then I'd get the blokes back. Sadly since in this country you cannot get it fixed by a good craftsman and then send them the bill there is a good chance that the next attempt will be worse before you can do that. Be fast though as companies like this in my experience vanish very fast and then resurface with a shiny new unblemished name. Brian Bah Humbug

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Bricks seldom move, it sounds like they bent something or its become bent afterwards to me. Bricks are hardly ever totally even but you do not use the bricks as a guide, after all. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The installer is trying to put you off. Make it clear to them that you are not happy and are getting a second opinion and if that confirms the door was badly installed (which is almost certainly the case) you will be pursuing them to either make it right or pay to have it done.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I bought a kit of plastic wedges. They are U shaped, so fit over the screw shank between frame and brickwork, etc. Sized in 1mm steps. Very useful for other things too. Screwfix or Toolstation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The same company measured and fitted it. The only people I've spoken to are from that company.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

I still owe half of full payment so I have some leverage. I can't think how to get hold of an independent expert as these guys are going to keep coming up with excuses.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

If they do you just have to point out that the fitter should have used packing pieces to compensate for the unevenness.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thing is, the direction of the bend can't be explained by the bricks.

Imagine my wall runs east to west. If a brick was sticking out, you'd expect a bend in the east or west direction. But the bend is in the north/south direction. Their explanation makes no sense to me.

Reply to
Peter Smithson

I've still got to figure out if it's really the door or the frame that's bent (in not at home for a few days).

I wonder if the frame is slightly too big and it's bent slightly to wedge it in.

I've no idea how to adjust fixings.

Reply to
Peter Smithson