Junk story

    Yesterday, my manager decided she would help by replacing a kitchen light bulb over the kitchen work surface. The lampshade is held on by 3 stupid screws. She detached the glass shade without breaking it and after replacing the bulb proceeded to screw the shade back up. The screw have about 5 turns so if you undo them slightly too much, the damn things fall out. This of course happened. She now knows that if you drop a screw 3ft from an uncovered sink that it will always fall down the plug hole.Having recovered her poise and belatedly covered the sink, I was now stuck with the problem of finding her a new screw. (No Adam, not that sort!) Anyway, I thought IKEA lampshade, it must be metric. Wrong again, nothing metric would fit. Having severe squirrel ten/1ncies, I have a very, very large junk collection and by luck, I found that the screw was 3/16 Whitworth and in one of my drawers was an exact replacement for the lost screw. She then refitted the lampshade without dropping another screw, for which I was very thankful. Junk is good!
On 04/12/2017 20:05, Capitol wrote:

If it is the usual pressed steel or aluminium mount, self tappers are often another option. As long as you have the right length, or the "touch" not to break the glass!
On 04/12/2017 20:05, Capitol wrote:

[snip]

And now with just one anecdote you can justify the whole collection and its keeping, and SWMBO can't argue ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On Monday, 4 December 2017 20:05:47 UTC, Capitol wrote:

Every DIYer has tins full of odd screws.
Yes indeed it is, but sadly I've lost a lot of mine when I had some sheds removed that had about reached falling over status.
Its really annoying when you cannot find a 5 foot bit of wire or a 4BA screw when you need one. Brian
--
----- -
On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 8:10:12 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

rew

ht

ll

ng

y,

and

hen

in response to the wise after the event comments about recovering the screw from the trap personally I wouild prefer to root around for a replacement rather than crawl under the sink, remove all the cleaning materials,end up with a sleeve full of water and the mop up the mess
On 04/12/2017 20:05, Capitol wrote: Having severe squirrel ten/1ncies, I

Not Junk. Resource!
Mike

Alteratively, you could have found a small neodymium magnet stuck to a metal plate with a small hole, as salvaged form and old hard drive, tied two foot of string to it (from a spool of 16 miles of fine thread), dropped it down the sink, and hauled out the screw.
Thomas Prufer