Internal door

I have been reversing the hang of a typical hardboard panelled grained internal door.

After changing the hinges over I found that the door had been cut to suit a rather out of square frame so I need to consider putting the hinges on the catch side and filling the holes as best I can.

The trouble is, I think there isn't the same reinforcement for the catch mechanism on the opposite edge of the door.

Any ideas? Getting a new door appeals - but I lack the decent tools to trim it to fit.

Reply to
John

There is precious little reinforcement on the proper side. I've been called in twice to fit mortice locks to internal doors which have actually been hung the wrong way by people who don't read instructions. But you are right, there is no 'lock block' on the hinge side.

Have a look at the top egde, there is usually an arrow or something telling you which side the lock block is. You might be lucky & find it's been fitted the wrong way round.

You only need a power planer. Hire one? Or buy a Wickes jobby for £22

The Medway Handyman