External 13amp socket...

I want to install an external 13amp socket.

I have an older rewireable fuse box so am I forced to buy an integrated RCD-protected socket? OUCH!!

Do I also need a spured fuse single outlet too, or can I hard wire directly into the circuit? I can easily get access to the ring main very near to the position where I want the external socket.

Cheers Garry

Reply to
garryb59

You could use an RCD-fused spur inside, leading to a standard IP56 socket= =20 outside (RCD spur =A325.95+VAT, MK Masterseal socket =A315.99+VAT, both fro= m=20

Much cheaper than =A382.10+ VAT for a Masterseal RCD= =20 protected socket.

But yes, you do need RCD protection for an outside socket, or any socket=20 which may be used to supply portable equipment outside (includes plugging= =20 in a lawnmower through the kitchen window, but then you'd use a plug-in=20 RCD unit, wouldn't you?)

Gary

Reply to
Gary Cavie

No. You need an RCD, but it can be indoors. In my case, the RCD and double pole isolation switch for the outdoor sockets are both indoors, and thus don't need to be the waterproof type, only the sockets do. (Actually, I have my outdoor sockets on a 10mA RCD, but 30mA RCD is acceptable too.)

You might as well use a fused double pole switched connection unit. The fuse isn't mandatory, but it's probably better to protect the outdoor wiring at 13A rather than 30A. You can get such units with built-in RCD's too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Whatever type of consumer unit you have, you need to have a 30mA RCD at some point before the actual outside socket.

One way would be to have a split consumer unit with RCD in the middle and circuit breakers for protected circuits on its load side. This isn't really open to you (most likely) with a rewirable fusebox.

The second option is to go for an outside socket with integral RCD - cost from TLC is £42.50 net (LB8800). Wire this as a spur from the existing ring circuit.

The third option is to get a weatherproof socket only - MK 56480 at £16, then wire through an RCD spur unit (CM4904) at £26 between it and the ring circuit.

There's nothing in it price-wise.

However, if you went for the separate RCD spur box option, because it is fused at 13A you could connect multiple outlets downstream of it if you wanted to do so. These could radiate from the spur unit or be connected as a daisy chain.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:54:57 +0000, garryb59 strung together this:

Yes, either that or upgrade you dodgy fusebox.

I would run the supply through a switched 13A connection unit inside for maintenance purposes.

Reply to
Lurch

Isn't what he really needs a fully certified, qualified, authorised, Building Control approved, hard to find in a short time, compliant with Part P electrician, or is this job exempt ?

;-((

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:52:46 GMT, "nick smith" strung together this:

Fuck knows.

See above.

Reply to
Lurch

Ah, I hadn't seen this, I was only aware of the Masterseal unit at £86.

Thanks for all the quick responses, much appreciated.

Garry

Reply to
garryb59

I believe it's exempt: outside sockets aren't a Special Situation, though a shed, garrij, bathroom, and kitchen are, and he's adding sockets to an existing circuit rather'n running a new one.

What, you expected common sense from Part P? Logic? A consistent evaluation of risk? Puh-leaze!

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Use a suitable internal RCD spur unit and a basic external socket. This also has the advantage of allowing the external socket to be switched off from inside when not in use - which might be good news if you have chavs around. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cheaper at

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=&n=12754&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=9&y=7
?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=&n=14770&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=5&y=7I've had two orders in the past week, both arrived the following working day.

Reply to
Doctor D

If they're around I'd be inclined to soak the surrounding ground with salt water, and install a 3 phase supply and external socket.

Reply to
Mark Carver