EML and external render musings

Historically galvanised Expanded Metal Lath (EML) was used for supporting external render as well as internal plaster work. More recently the advice seems to have shifted to using stainless for external work.

What are the thoughts on the life expectancy of galvanised EML used under traditional render in non coastal locations?

Anyone bought any stainless recently? If so how much did it cost you, and where from? (some of the prices I have seen online have been plain daft!)

Reply to
John Rumm

if the render is sound, the galvanised stuff is almost completely out of damps way, and mostly fairly embedded in the render.

Now we know that split hazel and cowdung lasts a couple of hundred years..so I would think galv steel will be at least no worse..;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I removed the render from between upper and lower bays a few years ago because it had developed a number of cracks. The render appeared to be original and about 60 years old at the time. The galvanised mesh was in very good condition (extremely difficult to break up), so I would think that it has a life expectancy of at least 50 years in most conditions. The cracks in the render appeared to have developed because the render was too thick and heavy for a vertical surface, rather than failure of the mesh.

I would think that galvanised is marginally easier to use than stainless because stainless is so shiny and slippy compared with galvanised.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I went with ss a few years back, cost around 7-9 a sheet, I think probably from TP - all slightly hazy memory though, could be wrong. On a rendering job it doesnt add too much cost and ensures a long lasting result, I thought it the better gamble.

NT

Reply to
NT

mark