I installed an invisible fence for a friend, and used up the only receptacle
in her garage; the other one had an extension cord going to her garage door
I replaced the outlet with a GFCI and ran romex to the GDO and put in a box
on the ceiling. My only problem was getting the cable staples to stay in
the ceiling. It was all plaster with metal lath, so my stud finder didn't
work. I expected there to be studs at the corners (there were two things,
presumably steel beams, boxed in), but there didn't seem to be. I put in
about twice the number of staples I normally would, and it seems to be
stable, but there has to be a better way to fasten the romex to the ceiling.
Also, there are a few holes and cracks in the plaster. Since is presumably
is a fire wall between the garage and the bedrooms above, they really should
be patched. What would the proper materials/methods for this be. I have no
experience at plastering, but it can't be too hard to do a few patches. A
reference to something on the internet would be great.