First emulsion coat has brush strokes - thoughts on improving

Hi All I've just put a coat of Dulux 'Durance - durable and washable' silk emulsion on a couple of interior walls. I'd previously lined the walls with heavy-ish duty textured lining paper. I thinned the paint slightly beforehand (5% or so) and used a good quality synthetic brush.

Having dried, the walls are now showing brush marks, something I've never had problems with before (eg. we recently painted other walls with the same lining paper with Crown 'Breatheasy' matt emulsion - fine).

I've read elsewhere that these modern fast-drying emulsions can be susceptible to showing brushstrokes. Advice seems to include putting (eg. a second coat) on with a roller and then flattening with a good quality brush, and/or using a 'paint conditioner' such as Floetrol (never heard of this until now). Any comments on these ideas, or other suggestions?

Thanks a lot J^n

Reply to
jkn

Not tried the particular paint you mention, but I did happen to use one not so long ago (might have been a homebase "own brand") that was absolutely appalling when applied by a brush, but worked really well with a roller. This was a very thick emulsion - almost like a gel or a thixotropic gloss in consistency.

Personally I would give it another coat using one of the small 4" roller handles and a slightly shaggy fleece. I would not go anywhere near it with a brush again!

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wibbled:

I've just put on some of the OP's paint (Dulux Endurance), though in "matt". I did mine with a roller, and it retained a very mild texture from the rollering, which is fine with matt paint - so I can see how it may have retained brush marks. This paint is like a medium thick liquid - not obviously thixotropic, but nonetheless, quite sticky and not prone to runs.

I'd agree that going over again with a roller is probably the best option. Either that or an incredibly soft brush.

The paint, in every other respect handled quite well though - minimal splashing and good coverage.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Hi Tim, John - thanks for your comments.

I ended up doing a second coat with a small roller as you suggested, and having 'conditioned' the paint with this (pricy) Floetrol stuff. I'm not terribly experienced with painting using a roller... anyway, the second coat has improved matters somewhat, and it's 'good enough' now.

I think the surface is very noticable on these walls (they are the sides of a hall) as the afternoon sun shines straight down it. This together with the type of paint (almost thixotropic, as mentioned) and the silk finish, have combined to make it so visible. Anyway, it'll suffice...

Thanks again J^n

Reply to
jkn

jkn wibbled:

Glad you got a better result.

Glad I don't get the "sun effect" on my first bit of plastering :)

Reply to
Tim S