Emulsion on kitchen ceiling problem

Hi The large kitchen ceiling I'm painting will not finish in a uniform way. I've emulsioned it 5 times now, 3 with Johnstones white high opacity matt, 1 with leyland white matt and then 1 with B & Q white silk to see if it gave a more uniform finish. It remains with roller marks in after every time. I've been decorating 8 years now and haven't had this problem to this extent before. The light does shine into the kitchen so as to highlight the ceiling and I know it can never be perfect but is there any way of getting a more even finish or what do you think could be causing the problem ? Thanks

Reply to
Steve Kramer

Is the roller in good condition or is it a bit worn which I have found can not roll out very well. Is it a plain ceiling or textured? Are the lines from the first layer showing through?

Reply to
Chewbacca

The only problem I've had was with newly finished plaster (in my kitchen as it happens). It sucks the moisture out the emulsion so quickly, it can very easily dry before you get around to overlapping it or rollering it out properly - even if you use watered down emulsion. In my case the resulting ridges were enough to show through subsequent coats as I was using a short pile roller - so bit of scraping/sanding was needed before re-coat.

Other things to consider:

Speed - I have a extending painting pole and roller with a splash guard, so I can get the paint on fast without needing to go up and down a ladder. You might find you're taking longer to paint the kitchen ceiling than other rooms too, as you have more immovable obstructions.

Temp - this may be an issue in a kitchen + you indicate there is sun on the room too. Paint when the temp is lower.

Pile - longer pile will give a more textured finish, cover up more imperfections, and take longer to dry because more paint is going on - so you're less likely to end up with roller marks. Short pile is the opposite.

In my experience matt is less prone to roller marks than silk.

HTH Midge.

Reply to
Midge

----- Original Message ----- From: "Midge" Newsgroups: free.uk.diy.home Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 8:34 PM Subject: Re: Emulsion on kitchen ceiling problem

Hi Midge This is a problem as the ceiling is very large but the patches are all over the ceiling

I have a poll too (Oo Missus !)

True, but it's not that hot now and the patches tend to be everywhere

Yes, I used a short pile first then swapped to a medium for the last 3 coats but the problem still exists. It's a situation I haven't had to deal with before and very frustrating as it's my last painting job before I give up for good.

Also there are no underlying stains so it's not that either.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve Kramer

Hi Chewy Its a plain ceiling and the roller is new, medium pile. The first 2 rolls were with a short pile roller so I changed to medium to get more on but the result was the same. I don't think the first coat is showing through. What I have noticed is that when I looked at my own ceiling I can also see roller marks but only at certain angles of vision when the light hits it differently. I think some of this is to be expected. Thanks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chewbacca" Newsgroups: free.uk.diy.home Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:53 PM Subject: Re: Emulsion on kitchen ceiling problem

Reply to
Steve Kramer