Removing felt tip

Our (not in the slightest) illustrious tenants have finally heeded the court order and left.

Unfortunately the out-of-control offspring have had a whale of a time with felt tips on the

80/20 wool/polypropylene carpets,

emulsioned walls (it's tending to bleed through new silk emulsion),

gloss white doors,

vinyl kitchen flooring,

matt finish kitchen unit doors and

acrylic(?) bath.

Anyone got any thoughts on the best way to remove the marks from these various surfaces?

TIA

Stain Devils stuff is good, get it from any supermarket. A lot of kids felt tips are non permanant these days, so you might be lucky.

Stain Stop/Block paint will solve the emulsion bleed through.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

landlords need a carpet cleaner sooner or later

  1. wash to reduce it
  2. use a layer of stain block before painting.

should wash off ok. Gloss paint shoudl also cover it ok if necessary

should wash off

oh boy. Plenty of washing, but be careful to keep the water off the edges or it may blow the chipboard.

cream cleaner

this is all assuming its kids pens. If they were waterpoof markers, its solvents and expect failures, and damage if the wrong solvent.

NT

Reply to
NT

I'd get the professionals in (no, not The Professionals of CI5 fame). Your local letting agents will know of some decent ones.

You just have to hope that the retained deposit will cover the cost. If it doesn't, increase it for the next tenant. Bump the rent to recover the cost over the next year - No shortage of desperate tenants ATM.

Don't know the details of your case, but there may be some redress regarding Criminal Damage if they have vandalised your property. You won't get a penny back of course, but it's a bit of fun.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Git one and Prochem in the tank (as recommended by TMH - thanks) hasn't shifted it.

Still there.

I'm trying to avoid glossing the whole house. But may well fail...

Still there.

Faded, but still visible. I'm trying to avoid adding a shine to the surface.

Still there.

Looks like they were.

now this is making more sense... all I can suggest is trying various solvents in increasing order of aggressiveness, or save yourself some times and paint whatever you can.

Document well and you can at least go to court for damages. You wont get to collect the money, but it will put debt collectors on their tail for it, plus any rent owed.

NT

Reply to
NT

I'd suggest buying a gallon of "Cellulose paint thinners" from the car spares shop (£7). The stuff's an aggressive solvent and you need to be quick on cheap plastic surfaces but it'll quickly do the job. It's so useful I'm surprised the guv haven't banned it. More probably, the Green lobby have never had to repair their own vehicles so are unaware the stuff exists :).

Reply to
john jardine

Acetone (Cellulose thinners) dissolves many plastics instantly and is a last resort. Most felt tip will dissolve in white spirit, which in turn is safe on most plastics and paint surfaces so try that first on the hard surfaces. T Cut may work on the bath and won't scratch it. On carpets virtually all solvents will leave an obvious mark if used locally on the spot, you may find it better to get someone in with the right equipment.

Reply to
Peter Parry

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:57:13 +0100, Peter Parry had this to say:

Trichlorethylene may also be suitable, and it's relatively innocuous, if used sensibly.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Eh? I was of the understanding that landlords are being squeezed like everyone else at the moment.

Reply to
Doki

Have you tried those dense white magic sponge things? They're mildly abrasive, but take marks off stuff very easily.

Reply to
Doki

Thought the country was awash with 'buy to let' types now with egg all over their faces?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Will try anything!

Do you mean the dish washing type sponges with a fairly compact and rough surface on one side?

think he means melamine sponges. Theyre fine white sponge/foam made of melamine. May be useful on cupboard doors, but I'd go for paint as the quick option anywhere its suitable.

NT

Reply to
NT

That's the one. I found it very useful for the sort of job the OP has.

Reply to
Doki

My fairly successful remedy when someone has used the wrong pens on a white board: go over the scribble with a dry wipe marker pen and wipe off the disolved permanent marker quickly.

Works on hard shiny surfaces pretty well. John

Reply to
JTM

In my experience (in a lab where a lot of permanent marker is used), ethanol does a pretty good job of removing marker from non-porous surfaces, so meths should shift it without too much damage. Alternatively, you could try decent strength vodka...At least you would have another use for the solvent if it didn't work.....

Reply to
GMM

Well, sort of, it's full of idiots who over stretched themselves, believed the massive profits line and bought off plan on dodgy overvalued property that had no chance of making the prices they were told it would. Plenty of people who bought property without ever even seeing it (a common problem with buyers from southern Ireland I'm lead to believe), taking the word of 'friends' in the know.

A fool and his money etc...

The sensible investors who can afford to hold their balls for 5-10 years will come out of it much richer with more assets as the idiots get shaken out and have to flog off their 'investments' for less than they paid, just in time for a new crop of fools to get fleeced.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

You are mistaken. Had a tenant move out Saturday at 10am, new tenant in at

11am at 20% higher rent, didn't even want the cleaning done. They'll bite your hand of in this neck of the woods :)

Al.

Reply to
Al

Not in leafy Surrey :)