removing felt in expansion joint

In my garage there is a felt material in the expansion joint. It is

20 years old and dirty and rotted. Is there anyway I can pull this felt out, or cut off enough enough material such that it is low enough for me to fill in with a caulking?

I have already filled the other joint running across with caulking, which has no felt material in that one.

The reason is I have coated my floor with epoxy and cosmeticly the rotted felt looks bad now, plus I wanted to minimize the insect and moisture crawling up.

Reply to
jj3000

I'd be tempted to try using my pressure washer's fine-stream to clean out the joint. Another approach would be to use a circular saw, with either a throw-away blade or a diamond-cutter blade, set to a depth which takes out sufficient felt material.

Reply to
Mark

Maybe just dig it out with an old chisel.

Reply to
sPONiX

That would work Or even get hi-tech and use something with a hook on the end to pull it up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski