Kill The Weeds, Not The Grass

All:

I'm looking for some recommendations of dry weed killer that can be applied to my lawn via a Scott's fertilizer spreader. Clearly, I don't want it to kill my grass.

Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
John

I always had good luck with Ortho products... Weed B Gone. But I used Liquid.... Dunno if there is a granule form.

Reply to
Matt

Go to your local home and garden supply...there're a "veritale plethora" of products. Which is best depends on where you are and what you're trying to combat...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
John

BTW Ignore the local troll with unless to harmful advice. He will be gone as soon as the schools open up again.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First step is to pick out any good brand and apply it EXACTLY as directed. No more no less at the right time of the growing season and right weather conditions.

Next you need to make it hard for the weeds and good for the grass. In fact, depending on where you are, you should start that first. Don't follow the standard procedures on the packages of fertilizers. Start by contacting your local county extension agent (if US) or the equivalent in other countries. Ask them about a soil test to determine what fertilizer if any you may need as well as other soil conditioners. Don't cut your grass too short, it is hard on the grass and makes it easy for the weeds. Most cool weather grasses need at least 2 ½ inches if not three. Water only when really needed. Let the grass dry out a little, it's harder on the weeds than the grass. I suggest looking for slow release nitrogen (ideally organic for long term soil improvement) I find I can fertilize twice a year, early spring and mid fall and have a far better lawn than my neighbors who fertilize four and five times a year. I might add that most of my neighbors now follow my procedure.

I spot weed kill about once a month, takes 10 minutes.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Well, there's a reason for that... :)

The application is more effective in liquid form and cheaper as well...

Still can make no specific recommendation w/o knowing what you're after, where you are, etc., etc., etc., (as the King said) :)

For dandylions and other "ordinary" broadleaf weeds, any of the common broadleaf killers will do. Just be particularly careful about ones which are labeled as "systemic" as they will potentially injure other plants from root takeup, not just from leaf adsorption. Also be careful of overspray, of course.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Joe Meehan I didnt see "matt " as a troll, or wrong , I have used Liquids alot. I like them since my dogs can go out to an unpolluted lawn sooner than waiting for Granules to disipate , a good rain usualy does it . I had cancer years ago cut off a healthy dog ,then and now years later she is OK. . I feel if chemicals are a must, get them out of animals harm-way fast , such is Liquid .

Liquid fertilizer is crap, as is " Chemlawn " "Cancerlawn" Natural nitrogen and amendments are best all around...

Reply to
m Ransley

As I recall the specific product mentioned will also kill the grass.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan