Evolution and Technology

I've a Nikon Coolpix that displays all these problems. As if trying to take a shot in bright daylight is not sufficient a problem in itself!

Reply to
Clot

Oh, David, you old cynic you! All reviewers, of any product, are honest folk, just wanting to advise other people ...

Tra la la ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Often the delay is the camera telling you it doesn't really want to take the picture, but nobody reads the manual or knows what the the warning lights mean

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Nobody?

a) how do you know?

b) you're wrong.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

True, I do have difficulty remembering all the functions on the camera.However, the only light that flashes is the "thinking" one. Now how do I use a mobile to make a call? Blast, I've just downloaded a video or something.....

Reply to
Clot

I can relate to that.

I threw away a Sagem mobile because the buttons kept changing their function - I could never keep track of which one to press and all the menus kept changing based on what I'd "recently" used, making it hard to find anything.

I only send text messages very rarely, but a few months ago I spent ages trying to figure out why the text editor on my new mobile phone kept typing in rubbish instead of what I was actually typing. I ended up phoning up the person who I was planning to text and he informed me that the mobile probably has a dictionary which has somehow got turned on. After another age I discovered how to turn the damn thing off. If the mobile battery every fully discharges it resets the dictionary back on again.

I think all these "features" are probably great for kids or other people with time on their hands to learn them all, but for occasional users like me there are just too many features and too much technology and it just gets in the way.

(Would you believe I'm a professional software developer)

Reply to
David in Normandy

Predivtive text it's called. No blankeety blank use for the words I use. Fortunately my adult kids know how to get rid of it - well at least for a few months then I'll go and do something I'd not intended!

Reply to
Clot

Me too. And I hate all these "bells and whistles" 'phones, also. Have you considered buying a 'phone from;

we recently bought a "large button" mobile phone for my 90 y/o mother-in-law for emergencies, and during the research I came across these;

(also
ain't cheap, though.)

And we're not alone. My wife had to be pried away from her Nokia 8110 "banana phone" with a wrecking bar. She only relinquished it having dropped it and broken off the lugs that retained the battery. Irritatingly only a few weeks after I'd sourced her two new batteries for it at a cost exceeding that of a new phone.

Reply to
Huge

Errr yes! if you have proportional control.

Reply to
dennis

My digital camera makes a noise like an slr.. but it is an slr. It doesn't make a motor drive sound like they do in films though.

Reply to
dennis

I don't hear a noise like that either.

The only noise I hear is a peep when the battery is low.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher