OT. Chinese Technology Theft

The hacking that shut down the Colonial Pipeline illustrated how vulnerable the U.S. is. The articles I saw were mostly about city people not having fuel to drive. This talks about Chinese efforts to steal seed technology.

One Chinese national was caught crawling through a seed corn field. He was stealing seed and mailing it to a relative in China. Customs agents caught others smuggling corn, rice, soybean, and wheat seed out of the U.S. This is a ways down in the article. "Complementing BRI, Made in China 2025 looms as another alarming CCP program. Announced in 2015, the 10-year initiative projects domination of 10 high-tech sectors by 2025?including information technology, artificial intelligence, telecommunications, electric vehicles, aerospace engineering, advanced electronics, biomedicine, high-speed rail, maritime engineering?and agricultural technology. "

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

No surprise there. The computer that my company made in the 1980s was reverse-engineered in China and a bunch of knockoffs started showing up. Mind you, this was a special-purpose supercomputer for solving differential equations very quickly. For one of the computers that we legitimately sold into China, some of their engineers came to our facility for training. The teacher found them poking around our file system, trying to find the software source code.

Even now, there are third-party boards that we cannot sell to China because of ITAR. They just obtain them locally.

Once they were very concerned about the size of one of the systems we sold them. The rumor mill said that they intended to push it down a tunnel from the civil aviation lab to the military aviation lab.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

At the computer manufacturer I worked at for 5 years in the eighties/nineties we had a case designed and manufactured for us in China. We paid for the design and the molds for the plastic as well as the tooling for the custom case - and before we got our first container load they were on sale in "Asian Sources Computer" magazine for about 1/3 what we were paying for them. Lesson learned? If you are outsourcing/offshoring manufacturing, split up the project into otherwize unuseable or unrecognisable parts and have each made by a separate entity - preferably in different countries, and do final assembly on-shore. Otherwise the slimy little Bs will rob you blind.

Nothing against Chinese - but watch your enemies close and your friends closer

Reply to
Clare Snyder

It tickled my funny bone when I saw the part in the article about the guy crawling down the rows. He might've been better off had he stayed standing and acted like he belonged. It isn't unusual to see people out in seed corn fields. The Chinese leaders don't seem to have a live and let live attitude. It looks like they want China to rule the world.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

high-speed rail, maritime engineering?and agricultural technology. "

A friend of mine had exactly the same thing happen to him in the good old US of A so it isn't just the Chinese. I would also form a couple of different companies with different addresses for the parts you are ordering. China's industries are so closely coupled they might see through your scheme if you link the parts together

Reply to
gfretwell

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 04:13:39 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to digest...

high-speed rail, maritime engineering and agricultural technology. "

Remember the Toshiba China tech scandal?

Reply to
Tekkie©

Was that the time they stole the formula for the electrolyte for capacitors ?

Reply to
Snag

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 16:20:52 -0500, Snag posted for all of us to digest...

Nah, I thought Toshiba shipped them some kind of medical scanner that wasn't on the approved list. But I am just pulling this out of my ass as my memory is gone... Actually this all started with Nixon cuddling up to China believing it was an untapped market. What he and others since didn't realize is that China has a plan and the USA doesn't.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Wasn't part of it because China would help balance the Russian threat? I remember Kissinger being involved.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

We traded a real threat in China for a threat that absolved itself in Russia. Another reason I changed my opinion of Nixon.

Reply to
gfretwell

McKinley thought it was an untapped market too.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, that slimy little war criminal was into up to his big honker. Vietnam had become disillusioned with China and moved into the Soviet sphere. Pol Pot, after he got finished murdering a few million Cambodians, got some under the table air when Vietnam invaded Cambodia because the Khmer Rouge was in China's camp.

Reply to
rbowman

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 15:03:12 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to digest...

biomedicine,

IDK Nixon is the trigger in my mind for involvement with China.

Reply to
Tekkie©