Refurbished Unisaws

Local dealer is selling "factory refurbished" Delta Unisaws with the

50" commercial Beisemeyer Fences, model 36-L31X-BC50 for $1299. They look like new, but only have a 6 month warranty.

Is the Unisaw still worth having, or would a Grizzly 1023SL be a better choice. Although I own many Delta tools, I haven't been very happy with the last few Delta products or their customer (non) service as of late.

Are the handwheels durable and heavy enough to give the mech a nice feel? Or have they cheaped out and gone to aluminum or (shudder) plastic handwheels? Are the trunnions the same as they used to be? Do they still use that overpriced proprietary motor mount?

Anyone bought one of these, any caveats?

Thanks,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

of course

or would a Grizzly 1023SL be a

IMHO no.

Although I own many Delta tools, I haven't been very

Been through a lot with the transition after the B & D purchase last October.

Handwheels are cast iron with heavy machined steel tapered handle

Cast iron Trunion design has not changed since the late 1940's except for adding stock in areas to minimize breakage during shipment.

Same motor mount.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I've been looking to upgrade my TS for awhile now. I've been eyeing the 1023S for awhile, so when I saw your post asking about the Unisaw for $1299, my first thought was no, but I don't have experience with either to advise from actual use. Although, I did read some reviews from some very impressed people on Amazon regarding the 1023S, so I would have a hard time spending an extra $400 (or $375 for the SL) on a refurbished Unisaw.

Many of the pros here could probably justify the extra $400, but for my budding shop I'd rather put that extra $$ on a Grizzly 14" band saw.

There's delivery charges to consider as well. The local Unisaw dealer won't charge you freight.

JMHO

Jeff

Reply to
astutesolutions

I used the older 70's vintage Unisaws in college and at a friend's shop. When I started shopping to upgrade to a cabinet saw 4-5 years ago I was pretty much predisposed to the Unisaw. After looking at newer Unisaws I decided to expand my search. They weren't what they used to be and frankly they haven't improved since (Handwheel brake nuts for example).

My final decision did come down to Unisaw, Grizzly 1023S and the Jets. The

1023 won based on value and the fact it reminded me so much of the earlier Unisaws. This included both visual and tactile impressions (smooth handwheels, tabletop machining/flatness, specifications, sound, vibration, etc.) I do believe the Unisaw is still a fine machine but I cannot personally justify the extra hundreds of dollars for the brand name. My machine has served me well for four years, requires very little adjustment, and Grizzly delivery support is great. I have never had to use their product support.

So There! RonB

BTW - Grizzly will probably provide the names of up to two recent customers, in your area, who have made recent purchases of a 1023 (and who have agreed to talk to folks like you). This service, plus a trip to the Springfield store, won me over.

Reply to
RonB

I have a Unisaw and I love it, but problems such as a warped extension table and slightly warped left wing have left me wondering if I would ever purchase another Delta product. My DJ-20 joiner has a small pit in the outfeed table. Not enough to take it back, but the quality assurance just wasn't there. I'm not sure you'd be any better off with a Grizzly. I've heard horor stories from many fellow woodworkers with various brands of tools, and I'm wondering if buying tools is getting to be a crap shoot. The folks who seem to get it right, in my opinion, these days are the Canadians. The quality of tools from Canada is to me impressive. Just my opinion.

Don

Reply to
rickluce

I'm a happy 1023 owner. No horror story. Works great.

-j

I bought a refurbished Unisaw in 2002. The serial number indicated that it was built in 1999. I would have thought it was brand new if I didn't know it was a refurb.

In my case, it included the magnetic switch that usually costs several hundred extra on a new one.

The 1999 models still had the metal cover over the motor.

The quality of the fit and finish is very good. I like to support made in the USA when possible and it makes sense. (I'll buy the $3 chinese tool for a one-time project instead of the USA made one that costs $12.)

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

If it helps, the Grizzly is made in Taiwan, the Unisaw is now partly made in Taiwan. The Unisaw still uses traditional non-metric hardware, don?t know about the Grizzly.

The cost of a NEW Unisaw 10-in, 3hp, with a 50-in Biesemeyer commercial fence system is only $100 to $200 (s/h included) more than the refirb?d unit mentioned above. I opted for the Delta product (new) because of the Biesemeyer fence, an upgraded Grizzly fence meant paying extra for a 2nd fence and getting stuck with one I didn?t want or need. Didn?t/don?t have a clue what I?m doing, made the decision on the Biesemeyer fence based on numerous reviews and user comments. Maybe I?ll feel differently about the Biesemeyer commercial fence later down the road, but for now I?m still tickled pink.

Reply to
joe2

Almost everything cast-iron comes from China these days. :-\ Metric/Imperial, who cares - as long as they're not mixed up on the same machine (damned Fords).

I don't know where you are getting your prices, but I've never seen a Unisaw w/50" Beis and tableboard for less than $1699 w/ local pickup. These are going for $1249. Where are you getting that price in 2005 dollars?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I hope we are talking about the same saw? I just got my Unisaw last month, model 36-L3B. It is 10-in, 3hp, extended table, Biesemeyer

50-in commercial fence, Delta?s mobile base, $1499. Actually, delivery wasn?t totally free because there was a $13.00 ?booking? fee.

I just looked at the website, price has jumped $50 ($1549), maybe adjustments for changing fuel costs?!?

'm new to the Unisaw. Are we on the same page with these Unisaws?

Reply to
joe2

Joe: I really am not trying to pull your chain. However, I have seen comments and confusion over the years regarding the need to replace the 1023S fence with the upgraded Shop Fox or a Bies. The 1023S comes standard with the Shop Fox Classic fence which is a pretty close Biesmemeyer knock-off. I have this saw/fence combination on my 1023S. When I purchased my machine Griz was also touting the 1023Z and variants that had the Shop Fox "Precision" fence. In my opinion, and apparently others, the "Precision" fence isn't necessarily a step up - even though it costs more. When we visited the Springfield store just prior to my purchase (four years ago) I mentioned some reports I had read regarding some "Precision" problems to our sales rep. He diplomatically said that his machine had the "Classic" fence and he would certainly buy it again. The "Precision" fence was truly as smooth as glass in the store; but apparently it has several moving parts and I have seen reports of clearance and adjustment issues (which might be corrected by now).

The old "Classic" is built like a fire plug (or a Bies) and has required very little adjustment over the years. I believe Griz is marketing an aluminum version of the Classic now but I know nothing about it. My old iron fence is heavy, smooth, accurate and easy to use.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

That would be me...confused / ignorant.

Ron-

Not a problem. Thanks for the input. I?m new to the world of quality table saws. All I had to go on were reviews, reports, forum threads; mostly stuff I guess should be considered ?opinions?. That I would/could get something wrong is something I expected. Ironically, the neighbor across the street bought a Grizzly a couple weeks before me and didn?t say anything at the time. Now being able to see and compare a Griz and a Uni, I?d have no problem at all with owning either of them. Without doing a microscopic comparison, my initial impression is the Griz might be a better value, from a consumer?s perspective. Nonetheless, I still get tool-tingle from that Biesemeyer frence! :)

Reply to
joe2

Well, based on the model numbers, those are old models - Not that it matters to anyone but the marketing department... Pretty good prices, however, even if they are old stock. Newer ain't necessarily better...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I called Delta about the saw (36-L3B) before I bought it; they said it is current Unisaw product, (1) 36-953 saw, (2) BC50(W?) Biesemeyer Comm Fence w/ext?d table, (3) 50-284 mobile base. A local retailer told me Delta renumbered their products not long ago and it has everyone confused. Sound right?!?

That website shows inventory on hand, don?t believe it. They sell out the Unisaw faster than they can get them in. They sell a lot of Unisaws, even while in transit to ship from 1 of 3 distribution points in the US. When I bought my Unisaw it showed 4 available, down from 10 the day before. When I called to order it, they said only 4 saws actually on a truck in route from Delta/Tenn to distribution in New Mex were still available. The saw arrive at my home a week after I ordered it, literally moved off one truck and onto another.

Edit: anyways, my original point was that a brand new Unisaw + Bies comm fence w/ext table + mobile base can be delivered to you for (now) $250 more than one of those referb?d saws.

Reply to
joe2

Greg, I bought a factory reconditioned Unisaw a couple of years ago from Redmond Machinery in Atlanta. My story is long and I won't repeat it here. If you want to read it, cut & past this:

line is that I've been very pleased with my saw, and the way Redmond Machinery took care of me. I have found NOTHING different from a brand-new never-used saw. I'd buy a factory reconditioned saw again in a heartbeat.

DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

Greg G. wrote:

Reply to
DonkeyHody

I have a Delta X jointer - I was lucky, but many had problems with warped fences. My contractor saw had a table that was so warped, it left a wave on the end of a cut board. This was years ago, and the first tool I purchased - so it took me a while to figure out what was wrong. I ended up grinding the thing by hand to true it up. They do seem to have a problem with rushing green castings into production too soon. And the customer service has really deteriorated. They used to respond quickly to warranty parts replacements, but the last time I called for a warped bandsaw wheel on a brand new 14" Delta, I never got the parts. Called again, still never got the part. I bent the damned thing true myself in order to use it, and just gave up on them.

The same dealer also carries General. Their left tilt contractor saws and the 650s are good saws but I hear bad things about their support and manuals. And I'm not too certain about the availability of accessories like snap-in splitters and zero clearance inserts. Their fence is a nice Canadian made Beis clone.

I hear great things about the 1023SLX Grizzly, but really horrible stories about the delivery process. Much down time and broken/damaged parts from freight handlers. They DO seem to respond quickly with new parts, no questions asked. And the massive carriage and handwheels action on the 1023 is impressive. But I've never cut wood on one...

I bought the new Porter Cable 2 1/4 HP router kit when it first came out, and what a pile-o-crap full of Chinese parts. Shoulda gotten an old, used 690...

Manufacturing, Products and Support are failing miserably in this country. If something isn't done - like killing off some bean counters and greedy Wall Street investors, we are going to become a real third rate country. We've already lost the number one spot.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

You don't happen to work for Delta/PC? Tell the truth now... ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I hear ya - that funky T thing is a departure from the nice old knobs.

I hear you again! I've always wanted a Unisaw, but when it comes to laying out cold, hard cash - they worry me these days. Still, I prefer to buy American products and support my neighbors whenever possible - but I am tiring of being burned by that desire. It's getting to the point where when I see Made in USA, it's worse garbage than the Chinese crap - which is steadily improving.

I live in the SE, and there are no Grizzly dealers. Makes it more difficult to access their products. But the 1023 looks like a very nice machine.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

That's the dealer that is local to me... ;-) Thanks for the info - I've only bought some small things from them, and wandered around their scrap yard a bit. It's an interesting place if you like wood and metal working machinery from the early 1900s.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Used to. Retired in March. That is the truth.

My recommendations are based on what I know goes into the saw. Also based on personal experience that gave me a good view of the processes used to manufacture chinese based woodworking machinery. The processes and the reality of their statistical capability.

If you can get a Unisaw at a reasonable price, even refurbished, it is normally going to be better than a chinese alternative. Most refurbished Unisaws do not come from dissatisfied customers, but as a result of minor freight damage, warehouse damage or distributor resets.

And I would hurry. Trend indicates that at sometime in the future, all woodworking machinery will come from China. Very sad in IMHO.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher