Rely on technology too much

This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it can fail.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 19:57:27 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Until fairly recently (late 18th century anyway) paper was too expensive for kids to use tho.

Young people don't use paper as much. They use their phones to take notes.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 1:03:27 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:

What phone? I don't carry a phone! My phone lives on my desk like a good phone should.
John Kuthe...
On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 4:33:57 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:

That's pretty good.
Andy
On 18/8/19 7:33 am, John Kuthe wrote:

That's fine if your life revolves around your desk. Mine doesn't.
--

Xeno

On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 10:19:30 PM UTC-5, Xeno wrote:

nd it

before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

tes.

d phone should.

BasicTalk, phone over Internet. My life does NOT revolve around my pho ne. Most peoples' DO! Part of Borg, most seek to be!! Not ME!
John Kuthe...
On 18/8/19 1:19 pm, Xeno wrote:

Not at all. If I wasn't carrying a phone, I wouldn't need one. My home phone now is redundant since I took up mobiles 2 decades+ ago. The only reason I have a home phone is that it is part of a default bundled internet plan. People can now reach me whereas it was nigh on impossible with only a home phone available. It has to be said, I make very few outgoing calls, even now. Just Doctor appointments, travel arrangements, etc.
--

Xeno

On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 12:04:24 AM UTC-4, Xeno wrote:

My bundled internet came with phone. The only time a phone has ever been plugged in was to test one that I was taking to my mother's house to diagnose trouble with her internet phone.
My husband and I use our cell phones exclusively.
Cindy Hamilton
On 18/8/19 8:51 pm, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Yes, my wife and I are pretty much the same these days. Some people still call us on the land line, like earlier this evening for instance, but we prefer to be reached via our mobiles. I am not *tethered* to the landline and my life definitely doesn't revolve around my mobile. It is a very convenient tool and I use it as such for a multiplicity of tasks. Recently my phone served as a GPS when I was navigating around Canberra, the nation's capital. Very handy since my Navman died a while back. Anyone who has tried to negotiate the streets of Canberra will realise how handy a GPS in a phone can be. Compact package, always with you, perfect even when walking the streets of a strange city. The only thing I really don't like on my phone is social media like Facebook. Now that stuff really does try to *take over your life*. All those messaging aps like WhatsApp, they too are banned - just the messenger app that comes with the phone is all that's permitted. As I said, my phone is a tool, a convenience, and when it gets uppity and tries to take over, I pull it back into line.
--

Xeno

I do too now, but there are still a few who only have my landline number so I still have a phone on that line. Only ever get a spam call on it every couple of weeks or so now. Maybe one call from someone who only has my landline number every couple of years.
On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 03:56:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"

If you ported your land line over to your cell phone you will get as many robo calls as anyone else in that LATA. They dial all 10,000 numbers.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

I have the landline over the internet. It allows me to block numbers, gives caller ID and best of all for many known robo calls, it will ring one time and quit. All for less than the basic cost of the regular telephone service in the area. I do not do it, but if I wanted to , it would ring my cell phone. Also get 'free' long distance.

Not possible to do that here. We have a separate block of numbers for cellphones and landlines.

There is no LATA here.

Not here they don't. I don't get any robo calls at all on my cellphone.
On 17/8/19 12:57 pm, trader_4 wrote:

Paper availability was variable and it was also expensive. The article isn't talking about a *blackboard* as such, instead it is referring to a hand held slate upon which students could write. It wasn't used for *permanent recording*, just as a scratch pad for arithmetic problems and the like. It was also considered sound educational practice for students to *interact* in some way with what they were being taught - and remains to this day. This article should clear the matter up and, yes, the timelines do fit;
https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540sept13/2013/10/26/from-slate-to-notebook-or-from-rote-to-note/
--

Xeno

On 8/16/19 9:57 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Considering blackboards, I went to a school built around 1970 when somebody decided to make the blackboards light brown, almost the same color as white chalk.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 1:02:17 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:

in the 1990's my adult sister discovered Armor All for her car and went a little overboard and Armor Alled the brake pedal! It LOOKED great but was slippery! She learned never to do THAT again.
John Kuthe...
On 08/17/2019 03:32 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

Armor All on a motorcycle saddle isn't the best idea in the world either.
On 8/17/2019 6:49 PM, rbowman wrote:

 And most definitely not on the tires !
--
Snag