Elec Car, BBC v Tesla

A story I saw first on the Good, Clean Funnies List.

John Williamson

The fuel is largely aluminium, the other components are a polymer binder and the oxidiser.

They don't have to be though. A hybrid uses a solid fuel and (usually) an oxidiser that is a gas. These engines can be turned on and off in flight.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Welcome. The chapter on monopropellants is especially hilarious.

There was a Scientific American book of science experiments in the school library that set me on the same-ish path. All I remember about it is that it had a blue dust-jacket and the chapter on animal experiments had been omitted from the UK edition.

Reply to
Huge

It is, and you're welcome. Enjoy.

Reply to
Huge

Hybrids are a bit inefficient and not that easy to control, since the fuel and oxidiser aren't mixed very efficiently, and the size of the "port" (the hole in the middle of the fuel) constantly changes size and shape during the burn.

Reply to
Huge

I think it may be this one;

'm downloading a copy to have a look.

Reply to
Huge

Not the reason.. the military launches used single section boosters as they were lighter and allowed more payload.

They couldn't be recovered and reused.

Reply to
dennis

> I'm downloading a copy to have a look.

Yep, that's the one.

Nostalgia's not what it was.

Reply to
Huge

Why?

Do they?

Reply to
OG

And it never will be.

Reply to
Steve Firth

well you should have followed my discourses there.

In short, 25% of the world total known lithium reserves would keep the UK grid going for 45 hours if put into 27 million cars.

It's utter greenwash, as the figures above show.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WikiP reckons all the world lithium would produce batteries for 2 billion cars, but whichever, after 10ish years they'll be knackered, rinse & repeat until no more lithium left ... or hope people remember to recycle it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I made it no more than 100 million.

Maybe their batteries were smaller.

Probably written by a green sock puppet then.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To intelligent people. yes.

Reply to