Elec Car, BBC v Tesla

In message , Tim Watts wrote

Yep, while the politicians on both sides have now resorted to accusing the other side of lying what hope is there for the masses to form any true opinion based on the arguments so far put forward.

Reply to
Alan

Probably the result of a stag do.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I can't see that making much difference to me. Convenience and comfort are much more important to me than mere cost.

I *need* food, shelter and warmth enough to live. Anything else is a desire, but I certainly wouldn't wish to live at the minimum level of my needs. You can subsitute 'have' for 'want' if you prefer.

I don't see that as anti-social; merely a stupid rule imposed by a nanny state based on dubious science. I am a life-long non-smoker BTW.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , The Natural Philosopher wrote

Yep, and the maximum size of the power supply attached would just be enough to charge your mobile phone - not too good if you want the power supply to cook your lunch in an oven.

The connection into the supply could be common but I doubt that the "common" battery pack for white van man would suit the 2 seat SMART car.

Reply to
Alan

In message , The Natural Philosopher wrote

They cannot even get KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems) to work reliably on racing cars.

Reply to
Alan

I bought the extended 80 litre tank. The manufacturer's figure for extra-urban consumption is 60.1 mpg = 21.27 km/l = 1702 km @ 130kph =

13.09 hours. In practice, I probably won't get the manufacturer's figure, but neither am I likely to want to drive more than eight hours in one day.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Not in my book. I view comfort when driving as a safety feature and the highest practical level of safety as an inherent requirement of any means of transport.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I wasn't aware that had been agreed world-wide, which any vehicle battery system would have to be.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Is there? Last year I bought a bottle for a small gas fire I had, only to find I couldn't use it because the bottle fitting had been changed.

For national, read international if it is going to work.

Unless, of course, two different big boys decide they want different standards.

How many last in the same form for several decades? That is what would be required for any car battery system, to make it worth the expenditure on the infrastructure to support it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes, one earlier proposition was that a small engine run constantly at optimum load and speed was more efficient, hence saving energy. Also if we think the rise in costs will affect liquid fuels more than the grid it will pay to start with a fully charged battery and the small generator only run whilst moving and to augment the battery. I actually don't think it would be sensible to aim to charge the battery on the run because the charge discharge cycle has losses. The actual electric motor can be considerably more powerful to allow for acceleration and modest higher speeds.

I actually have to commute at just a bit more than that speed, when the car was only 125k miles old it managed 70mpg, more recently with 75k more on the odometer I see it has fallen to ~65mpg, so currently I consume

0.7kWHr(t)/mile, at a cost of just over 10p/mile.

Breaks the overheads?

I might have agreed that 40 years ago, now having controlled a freight train and contracted to nitwork rail I don't, the problems associated with meeting their accreditation and standards simply load the price too much to be competitive and not all this is to do with safety, the road network is too much more flexible. I believe the private lorry sector is quite efficient and double handling stuff isn't, even with containers, with the exception of waterborne journeys.

Road trains anyone?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

It is a lot easier to use a car that will lazily eat up the miles to go shopping than it is to use a car that is only suitable for shopping to cross half of Europe.

I never go into a filling station if I am going to have to queue.

I think impractical for transport in the forseeable future is more to the point.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Handy? I don't know about that. 1000 km is a long trip, how often do you take those? It could also mean A LOT of running around locally but unless you're delivering pizza, do you need to be able to run around so much?

Also, handy does not mean efficient: your Audi has what, 80l tank? That's

68 kilos of diesel fuel (0.85kg/l) when you're leaving the gas station of which something like 40kg is just dead weight (or should we call it convenience weight?)

I actually think there should be a way to have a modular battery capacity. Say, you have a three-module pack. Most of the time you'd be running light, on one module (say, 40km? range). But every once in a while, knowing that you need more range for the day, you'd pop another one (or two) in. You'd need those charged prior to use, obviously. Maybe even keep them plugged in all the time and use them for some kind of a house-wide UPS

One of my two cars is used by my kids to and from school. Never needs more than 40km/day and only a third of that on most days. That's a good candidate for EV replacement. I guess I can lend them my Prius for longer trips :)

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

Not a layout I can recall from ANY care.

Early morris was side valve IIRC.

And dynamos don't drive anything except batteries.

You been at the Communion wine again grandad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nice one.

Leccies are like diesels though. They can be set up for best efficiency at modest power, losing efficiency at high power due to heat losses in the wires mainly. That great for occasional acceleration bursts as the cold windings will be fine..for a while less good for racing :-)

But I think people will want at least 70-80mph tops these days, which means you had better expect nearer 20bhp average draw

So for 200+ miles that's a 50Kwh battery give or take, and at 3KW recharge from flat (13A plug) its over 16 hours ..so its likely that you are limited to 100 miles a day with 8 hrs overnight domestic ring charging.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Any more than a triple A cell will start you car.

That doesn't mean we don't have standard battery sizes though.

And - Gasp - batteries can be placed in series for double the capacity..

If we look at - say - a 25Kwh block, the smart car has one, the family sallon has two and the transit maybe has four...and the Jag gets 6!!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its a lot *harder* on a racing car powered by an IC engine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've driven 24 hours with only fuel stops and a 15 minute break.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK it'samazing you can drive to France and the petrol still works, isn't it?

Or fly to hong kong and the avjet still runs the aeroplane?

Since all cart manufactires are pan national, these days, its not very likely that they would NOT create a standard.

Heck there are only half a dozen distinct manufacturers of any car component you care to mention.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think if the cost of fuel goes up enough, then the cost of rail even with the double loading issue, gets competitive.

And government stupidity can be fixed.

I view the whole think like an Internet. Trucks and parcels are packet switched networks routed along road/rail networks. There is no real choice for the last 5 miles, but on longer hauls, you are balancing the overhead of tunneling through someone elses network with the cost of running your own.

And fully automated freight trains or even as you say road trains, are perfectly possible.

Take the two fast lanes of the motorways, and make em railways. Drive up, couple up, plug in and let the train take the strain..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In the immediate future yes, the forseeable, no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher