Dripping tap

A while ago a tap was dripping so I changed the washer. It stopped dripping but started again after a few months. The washer was changed again and it stopped again. After another few months it has started dripping again. The drip is almost a trickle, and the tap also leaks up around the rod that connects the bit you turn to the innards (sorry, don't know the jargon). Any suggestions?

Reply to
Frederick Williams

For the first leak, it may be a build up of limescale on the seat, alternatively and more likely, the seat is damaged and needs re-facing. You can buy or hire re-facing tools which smooth the seat surface and stop it damaging the washer.

As for the other leak, the packing gland round the stem needs either tightening slightly, the packing itself has failed or the stem has worn too far for the packing to take up the slack.

Reply to
John Williamson

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Reply to
Frederick Williams

Sounds like you need a reseating tool.

If the tap is well worn, (so long as the seat is OK) you can also buy the upper part as a replacement. You can can get various pretty knobs as variants.

Reply to
harry

I am now the proud owner of a

Rothenberger Tap re-seating tool 3/8'' - 1/2'' and 3/4''

I may report back later.

Reply to
Frederick Williams

Tell me if you find a way to prevent *chatter* as it cuts:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb