Squeaky monobloc tap washer

I have a single lever monobloc tap in the bathroom which squeaks/grinds whenever anyone turns the handle.

I've been able to stop the noise using a bit of wd-40 but the squeak has come back after a week of silence. Anyway I suspect that wd-40 and the rubber washer don't go together too well.

What can I do to cure it? Any ideas?

Cheers, Mark, M/cr

to reply by email, please take the michael

Reply to
MarkD

Vaseline will last longer than WD40. If you grease the moving parts, and that stops the squeak but it returns after the grease has disappeared, then that is confirmation that the tap innards are knackered. The only cure, in my opinion, is to replace the ceramic cartridge, but unless you know the tap's make and model number, and the part is still available, it can be very difficult/impossible to get an exact match. If you can't get a replacement cartridge then the only cure is probably a new tap. You could ignore the squeak.

Reply to
DIY

You might find it here;

The Medway Handyman

I guess I'll have to put up with it until it becomes UNBEARABLE...

so it would seem the disc isn't rubber at all but ceramic? who would have guessed...Vaseline it is then!

Cheers again, Mark

Reply to
MarkD

What abourt rubbing the ceramic surface with pencil lead (graphite)? that might lubricate and also last longer. Robert

Reply to
RobertL