OT:Virgin media support

I was getting loads of errors "441 Posting Failed. None of the groups to which the article was posted are valid. E1" trying to post to various newsgroups last week. So I thought I'd post in Virgins Help & Support forums ...

reply:

This looks like an issue you may need to refer to Usenet first, I am currently unaware of any issues with this on our network. Kind Regards,

Can anyone tell me how to refer the problem to "usenet", please ;)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I am with virgin and have not had a problem posting to NG's

Reply to
Bob H

Asking here is a good start.

This:-

"OK after much pondering it seems that Virginmedia insists on you using a valid looking email address to post to its newsgroups. I had mine with "at" instead of "@" for no spam reasons, worked with my previous ISP. Anyway problem solved."

Came up on a Virgin forum.

Alternatively, Virgin's news server may be broken or have been disconnected for some reason.

Reply to
John Williamson

Difficult one that and a sad reflection on the knowledge of the VM staff and Support.

The error has been reported by several users. Hopefull Highwinds has picked it up and cleared it. I consider the server a chocolate teapot and have avoided it for years.

Reply to
Ericp

Well let me say just this. If it works on other servers, but not on Virgins, that says something don't you think?

High Winds run it in the Netherlands, so it could be an oddity there that is not permanent so hard to find. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh well, I can only assume for whatever reason VM aren't supporting usenet anymore :(

Can anyone recommend a low-cost usenet provider, that will cope with moderated groups (which precludes Eternal September) ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

If you go on to the Virgin website, you will find this page:-

Which may be broken by wrapping. It contains hints on how to set up your news client to use the news.virginmedia.com server, among other things.

Alternatively, you could try setting up a news reader use one of the free news servers. Ask for instructions if this is the case and you have a problem.

If it's text only, then news.individual.net costs ?10 per year.

BT (And many other ISPs) use Giganews and show a subset of their groups, but these can only be accessed with the appropriate account.

It is possible to get an account with a 14 day free trial direct with Giganews:-

John Williamson

There's also

where you can pay monthly (unlimited) or buy a fixed quota.

Reply to
David

I have an Astraweb account (hence this posting !) but they don't seem to support moderated newsgroups :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've been with Virgin for 11 years, and set up many PCs with no problem.

This problem started last week, and is ongoing :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Same here. Good news is that it is intermittent. They tried telling me it was my end, but I looked in that and its rubbish. I've tried different clients, same problem, and different servers/services and no problem.

Mostly relaunching the client or reloading the particular NG does the trick.

VM are very useless. First off they don't run the servers, as noted by others, and second, they really are shit at any form of customer service. On the up side, most problems I have mysteriously disappear after a while. They just don't tell you about it or acknowledge it when you report it.

Reply to
AC

They appear to be at the vanguard of a new concept in service provision. Quite happy to take the money, but then palming you off onto someone else when there's a problem.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

They have a lot of moderated groups in their directory (147). Just tried uk.legal.moderated and that worked OK.

Reply to
David

Not only that, because it is provided for "free" as part of the package, there is no claim if it isn't working.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

*shrug*

here's my recent exchange with uklm ...

This has been a problem with Astraweb for years. The service might be fine for binaries, but it's run incompetently for some moderated text groups, with the posting flag set to "y" (accepts all posts) rather than "m" (moderated), and posting messages directly without submitting them to the moderation address, so they don't propagate properly.

These ought to be trivial errors for Astraweb to fix, but they just ignored several support tickets and follow-up complaints that I filed when I used their service.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Seems everything is "free" with Virgin, then. Like iPlayer issues. EPG issues. VOD issues ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I regard Virgin as the devil I know

Reply to
stuart noble

No problems here posting to usenet via VM.

Reply to
tony sayer

We've had VM here since Gawd knows when and I can say the only thing I can fault with it is the changing IP address and thats about it. Lightning fast and reasonably priced and the last Two times I've had to contact customer support an English call centre;!...

I know of around a half a dozen people near here who'd kill for what they can provide after struggling with at best 1.5 Meg down on a flaky bit of BT best string;!...

Even with decent ISP's such as Zen..

Reply to
tony sayer

Err ...