Dripping tap

Could be the tap lever loose on the insert shaft.

You might want to check if the tap is still "quarter-turn" I've seen several examples of worn, slightly more than a "quarter-turn" taps. In these cases the real off-point is slightly before the lever meets the OFF end of travel.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

The quarter-turn Bristan ceramic insert hot-water tap in the bathroom basin has had a slight drip for ages. One odd thing is that the tap lever has a bit of play in it so that it can be moved slightly to any side by a mm or so, as though the ceramic valve disc cartridge is loose. However, the cartridge is so tight I cannot undo it after removing the tap shroud, so what is loose? Unfortunately, the cold-water tap cartridge is also so tight that I cannot undo it to examine the valve construction.

According to the photo of a dismantled cartridge at 9.39 at

(Step 4 - repair your valve), there is nothing that can be tightened. Is it possible that one of the black "O" rings has failed and broken up?

If I can't undo the cartridge (I've tried WD40), are there any options other than a new tap?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

How have you tried to remove the cartridge? I usually find that fitting a ring spanner on the hex part and hitting the other end of it with a rubber mallet while someone else hangs on to the tap works ok.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger Mills presented the following explanation :

When you do get the cartridge out, leave it to soak in lemon juice or citric acid to remove the limescale. Limescale will be the cause of the drip.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I don't think it's that, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Basically trying that. In the end it might be necessary to remove the tap and put it in a vice. A few months ago we had the plumber in for another job, and I asked him if he could just loosen the cartridge and I'd do the rest. He's well over 6 ft and heavily-built, but even he couldn't shift it. He didn't want to try any harder in case the pipework and/or basin got damaged. In the end it might be necessary to remove the tap and put it in a vice. We have hard/very hard water here, and that wouldn't help if scale has formed in the thread.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Jeff Layman submitted this idea :

Soak in citric acid, add toilet paper/ cotton wool to help keep it where needed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Guess why I regard a water softener as essential.

I've only had to replace one set of taps in 20 years, my cylinder still works fine as do all the shower heads, and the bogs are squeaky clean

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm assuming you can't get it out and shove it in an ultrasonic cleaner? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

There is a lot to be said for good old taps with old fashioned washers. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Is that why you're soft in the head? :)

Reply to