Quarter turn tap cartridges

Is there any difference between the brass bodied quarter turn cartridges for mixer taps for cold and hot water apart from the bottom seal (which you don't see when fitted) being red or blue?

I'm looking for a pair of replacements for an older (no longer fashionable) kitchen mixer tap. The manufactures replacements are circa £100 for the pair and compatibles considerably less. Some compatibles that I've seen come as hot/cold pairs and others with no distinction between hot and cold.

So far after extensive searching I've yet to find a cheap(er) compatible replacement of the same design but I have found a complete replacement Peglar mixer tap of a similar design for around £55. I may go down this route of a new tap tomorrow as the old taps not only have a problem where they intermittently fail to turn fully off (a continuous drip every 10 seconds) but the tap handles also have some minor damage.

And yes, I have had the cartridges out and cleaned them and soaked them in descaler etc. On reassembly they still intermittently drip. The only way it seems to stop them dripping is to fully turn on both taps and then quickly shut of both taps together.

Reply to
alan_m

Sorry, senior moment :( The difference between the hot and cold designations is the direction of turn - left or right to turn on.

Reply to
alan_m

You can adjust that with some minor disassembly.

Reply to
GB