Leaky quarter-turn tap

The swan neck mixer tap in my kitchen is leaking (dripping). It has quarter turn knobs. I know nada about the insides of these - do they have something equivalent to a tap washer which can be replaced?

Reply to
Huge

If you know the make, then you might be able to find a new cartridge for the tap

has a bad effect on the quarter turn taps with the ceramic disc stopper. It rubs away at the surface of the disc until the edges have gone.

Some quarter turn taps work with a hole drilled through the bottom and side of a brass or ceramic lump, at right angles with each other (like an upside-down L shape through the lump). When you turn the head, the hole doesn't line up with the outlet hole in the body of the tap, so it stops the water from flowing through.

There are others that use a flap type system that just turns a ceramic or brass shutter in front the hole to stop the water. Like closing the slide on an air vent.

You need to take the head off and have a look inside.

Reply to
BigWallop

No, you have to buy a ceramic tap cartridge (if you can find one)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

it is - it was over 10 years ago.

Figures. The good news is that I've just lashed out on a water softener (to go with the GBP3K's worth of posh glass shower cubicles I've put in in the last year or so). The bad news is that the kitchen tap isn't softened.

I feared as much. And I bet there are no service valves. I didn't use to fit them when I installed this sink. :o(

Reply to
Huge

OK, ta. Well, not OK. But still thanks. :o)

Reply to
Huge

That is good news, as you will find out if you use the softened water for cooking.

Reply to
dennis

I've not long been through that exercise. As someone else has stated you can get quite a range from Lunns and they are well enough described that you can pretty well work out what you need from the website and maybe with a phone call. The cartridge for mine was expensive and due to a problem (the casing on mine cracked so be doubly careful when installing), I was left just using the disks - which thus far have been fine (~3 months or so). Now why can't they just sell the disks which surely can only be a couple of quid?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Alas no, this is called progress.

Standard proceedure; turn customers water off, remove cartridges, drive to the only plumbing shop in the Medway Towns that stocks a range of them, spend £15 - £20 on new set, return to customers, fit new cartridges, hunt around in back of van for screws that fit, finally get cup of tea when water supply restored.

You can buy them online as BW says, but beware the size of the knurling & the fixing screw thread size.

I have noticed that our 'uge' B&Q has now started to stock a range of them. Since our B&Q is only just up the road from the real plumbing shop I still go to the latter, but it might be easier for you.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think some lever operated quarter turn taps use a conventional washer - but a coarser thread to give the washer lift in less of a turn.

Reply to
John

I have come across those once, most seem to be ceramic nowadays though.

Can't have something that can be repaired for 10p when you can make it more complicated.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway towns are a bit far. :o)

Given that the tap's a bit knackered anyway, I've ordered a traditional mixer from Screwfix. I'm not fitting any more 1/4 turn ones.

Reply to
Huge