[?] Fixing a dripping mixer tap

The kitchen mixer tap in the following picture is now dripping every ten seconds or so:-

I understand that this sort of tap does not use conventional rubber washers so I'd be most grateful if someone in this NG could tell me what bits I need to buy to cure the problem before it gets any more serious, and how I go about fitting them.

Many thanks,

- Dave.

Reply to
David Chapman

My son has a very similar mixer tap - and his is also dripping. These taps use 'ceramic discs' to control water flow and simply removing the cartridge and gently cleaning the discs can often stop the drip. I have now had several attempts with my sons - but with no joy. The discs appear clean and smooth - but still the drip goes on! I even tried using metal polish on a piece of glass to try and smooth the discs perfectly flat again - but that didn't work either. It's going to be a tap replacement I think!

After you have removed the cartridge and disassembled it, be careful when replacing the discs because if they are not replaced in the same position you will find that turning the tap off actually turns the water flow on!

Reply to
Ret.

Hi Kev,

Sorry that you've experienced the same problem. Surely there must be a way of replacing the discs rather than having to replace the entire tap assembly. Maybe someone else in this NG will be able to offer an easier and more cost-effective solution to overcome the dripping that will help BOTH of us.

ATB - Dave.

Reply to
David Chapman

Taking the innards out and soaking in descaling fluid for a while did it for me.

Pete.

Reply to
PJK

A long time ago, but I seem to remember taking out a complete ceramic cartridge assembly and replacing it. If you can confirm the make and model (may be under the cap at the end of the tap) you could ask your local plumbers merchant.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Replacement discs are not usually available. Remove the whole cartridge and take it and the head to a proper plumbers merchant. There are numerous different cartridges some of which only differ in the number of splines on the shaft - hence taking the head along too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Spot on Bob. The screw holding the head sometimes differs as well though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The rubber sealing rings below the cartridge supply pressure to the ceramic discs these become squashed,If you can get replacements for these that will sometimes fix the problem (you can not get replacements sometimes)

Reply to
F Murtz