CM67 Optimum Start algorithm

The Landis & Staefa RVP will give proportional control by driving a servo on top of a mixing valve, measuring the flow, return, inside and outside temperatures, deriving the setting from a pre learnt heating curve for your house. Assuming your boiler already has a RVP the extra cost is about 200 quid for the valve and servo. With a rad based system I would recommend fitting this type of control as the temperature swings are eliminated by matching the heat input to the heat loss. But with UFH time constant you would really gain much from these controls.

Reply to
IMM

IMM

supplier or pricing info. Any ideas?

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Not really. Try ringing Honeywell at some awful place called Bracknell, who will give you the distributors.

It is very, very neat, but I don't think cheap, or I may be surprised.

Reply to
IMM

Bracknell, who

In my experience they'll point me in the direction of an 'installer' who wants to supply and fit (for an arm and a leg), not supply only.

I like the idea but the HR80 seems a bit bulky.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

They may not yet be into the supply chain. PHAM magazine came today and has a write-up on them as a new product with launch presentations from Feb 17th

Reply to
Tony Bryer

OK, thanks. The HR80 has been around for I bit, I think, as part of the Hometronic system. As far as I can see, the new bit is the CF67z.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

Looks very neat and hassle free to install. If it takes off many imitators will emerge dropping prices.

Reply to
IMM

Have a word with Richard at RKM Heating Controls (01954 261855). I can't see the HR80 or CM67z on their website, but they can probably get a price for you - and will sell you the kit for DIY installation!

Reply to
Set Square

Your explanations are seldom good enough for me

This controller has a contact which makes and breaks with a duty cycle as described - e.g. 1 minute on, 4 off out of a total of 5. When this is controlling a supply to a device, it is pulse controlling it in this case with a long duty cycle.

That's the source of power to the controlled device. The controller is turning on and off.

I very much doubt it. An actuator should run from end to end reasonably quickly - certainly less than a minute.

You can't have an arrangement as you describe. This would require a controller which could stop and start the motor and another to reverse it and something to report back to the controller what the position is.

That is not a simple actuator and it requires a more complex controller than a CM67.

It is possible to have pulse width controlled actuators in other applications where the control to it is effectively open loop, but the pulse cycle time is vry much less and the switchover time in the cycle used to determine the stopping position - not the same thing and it also requires some electronics at the actuator to do the motor control. This is how model control servos work, for example.

I don't think so.

So please suggest a make and model that will work in a modulated fashion with a CM67.

OK, so now you are changing your tune.

OK. Please supply the part number of the L&S controller that will do this and a suitable modulating valve to go with it

To a diminishing habitat to die? Great idea.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for that.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Jones

I know your limits. Good enough for you.

That is not pulse. A pulse is a rapid on-off, probably 100s of time/sec.

There are modulating actuators around. I must have about 4 of tem in boxes.

You know very little of HVAC control.

It is vague.

Try their web site. It is not bad.

They don't belong here.

Reply to
IMM

You don't, you know :-)

It can be any cycle time. The technical definition does not put any time limitations on it.

So please give the makes and models so that it can be seen how they work.

Stop trying to evade the point.

You have asserted that the CM67 can control a modulating valve. You have further asserted that you have four such valves in boxes. You have been asked three times to provide the makes and model numbers of such valves. You have tried to divert the subject onto a different make of controller. You continue to duck the clear and direct question that is asked., When provided with a bit more information that might lead you to explain what you mean and how servos work you continue to evade and suggest that I know little about HVAC control.

This is your classic modus operandi and doesn't fool anybody.

Why don't you either come up with a modulating valve type for the CM67 or simply admint that you made a mistake?

I agree, and you certainly can't deduce what you have from it

I'm sure, but I'm asking the expert who claims to know all about this.

It's a better solution than letting them become extinct. There's some chance that their natural habitat can be stabilised at some point.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy, I "know".

having a signal on for 6 minutes is not a pulse.

They are 230v electic actuators have a look:

>> You can't have an arrangement as you describe. This would require a

It is spot on.

It looked that way from the brief spec.

There are some valve, not the ones I have, in the URL I provided.

Which appears better.

You know little about it that is clear fro all HVAC aficionados to see.

I don't fools anyone. Obviously confuse the hard of thing though.

Honeywell tech dept are the peopel to ask.

Who cares if all snakes go.

Reply to
IMM

IMM

act...

? 215,00 CE1N2213

- Mains-independent, electronic PI controller with 3-position output, battery-powered

- Self-explanatory touch screen

- Choice of 3 different 24-hour operating modes and one 7-day mode including individually adjustable 24-hour modes

- Remote operation, override button

- Sensor calibration and reset function

- Locking of display buttons for cleaning or as a protection against tampering

- Frost protection function and minimum limitation of setpoint

- Color: signal-white RAL 9003

- Holiday mode

-Optimum start control for the first heating period

-Adjustment of integral action time (volume adaptation)

-Adjustment of control gain (adaptation of heating output)

-For control of 3-position electromotoric actuators with a running time of

120...150 seconds (suitable for stroke or rotary actuators)

Operating modes:

- 24-hour mode with 1 heating period

- 24-hour mode with 2 heating periods

- 24-hour mode with 3 heating periods

- Continuously comfort temperature

- Continuously economy temperature

- Standby with frost protection setpoint (fixed: 5 °C)

- 7-day mode including individually adjustable 24-hour modes

Power supply DC 3 V batteries 2 x 1.5 V AA alkaline Battery life approx. 2 years Setpoint setting range 3...29 °C

Switching capacity of relay Voltage AC 24...250 V

REV33 ? 181,00 CE1N2267

- Mains-independent, battery-powered electronic PI controller with 3-positio n output

- With digital 7-day time switch for 24-hour, working day, weekend or 7-day operation with up to 3 heating periods per day

- Straightforward, self-explanatory menu selection via roller selector

- Optimum start control for the first heating period

- One temperature setpoint for each heating period

- Remote operation

- Override button

- Sensor calibration and reset function

- Limitation of the minimum setpoint

- Holiday mode

- Color: signal-white RAL9003

- Adjustment of integral action time (volume adaptation)

- Adjustment of control gain (adaptation of heating output)

- For control of 3-position electromotoric actuators with a running time of

120...150 seconds (suitable for stroke or rotary actuators)

Operating modes:

- Automatic mode with 7-day switching program

- Continuously comfort temperature

- Continuously economy temperature

- Frost protection setpoint

- One 24-hour operating mode with one heating period

Voltage DC 3 V batteries 2 x 1.5 V AA alkaline Battery life approx. 2 years Setpoint setting range 5...29 °C

Switching capacity of relay Voltage AC 24...250 V Current0.1...6 (2.5) A

Reply to
IMM

This thread has rather lost its way - and has unfortunately degenerated into a another slanging match between IMM and Andy - even including the merits or otherwise of keeping snakes!

I thought that this part of the discussion was whether the CM67 could drive a modulating type of mixing valve in order to control the output temperature of the mixed water. Since the CM67's only interface to the outside world is an on/off switch, it quite clearly can't provide closed-loop control of anything which needs to be driven to any one of a virtually infinite number of positions. From my experience, controlling mixed temperature with such a valve actually requires two control loops - one inside the other. The outer one monitors temperature, and outputs a position demand to the inner one. The inner one monitors position, and drives the valve to the position demanded by the outer loop.

Some of the kit cited by IMM can probably do this - but only by virtue of it's own controllers - so it is not relevant in the context of the CM67 discussion.

Reply to
Set Square

thread.

The SSB31... and SSB81.. valves are 3 position types which can be controlled with an on/off signal.

You apply a voltage (24 or 240v depending on model) between Y1 or Y2 and neutral and it will drive the actuator towards one end of travel or the other.

The controller to use this (e.g. REV300) relies on the end to end travel time being 150 seconds and the controller times the length of the on signal to adjust the valve. This is actually a really poor method of control because the controller has no absolute way of knowing the valve position and has to periodically drive it to and end point to calibrate it.

The CM67 type of controller, just doesn't have the two signals required to do the job or the logic either.

There is a third type, of actuator, SSB 61. This is a 0-10v control type and is able to achieve much greater accuracy because there is electronics in the valve head able to monitor the valve position. I'm using a Sauter equivalent of this product in place of TRV heads.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

That was an illustration of proportional and switched control systems (at the start at least).

It was.

Not with that cycle time at least. It is possible to control things in a pseudo-analogue fashion with a much shorter cycle time - e.g. model control servos.

The L&S switched stuff is still largely open loop and will require regular resets by the controller so that the controller's idea of position will match the real one. Crude but effective to a point.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nope.

Nope. You need either two signals driving a motor one way or the other, or a short cycle time pulse controlling some electronics hooked up to the motor.

In a form that could be controlled by a single output pulse switch controller like a CM67 they don't exist......

That's your quaternary response.