RSJ on Wood lintel?

Hi all, hope someone can help

I'm putting an 12ft RSJ in, one end into a cavity wall. When I have opened the wall there is the end of a wood lintel that is supporting the inside wall over a window.

If i cut the wood so that the RSJ sits on brick that would only l;eave about 3-4 inches of the wood left sitting on brick.

Alternatively can I sit the RSJ on the wood beam (with the packing slate in between), but even then I would have to take some of the wood off for it to fit.?

The RSJ is supporting a single brick wall, no joists, but the wood beam will be supporting some joists over a 6 ft window.

Thanks for any help. john

Reply to
marvin

What sort of cavity wall. RSJs require strong mounts.

supporting the inside wall over a window. If i cut the wood so that the RSJ sits on brick that would only l;eave about

3-4 inches of the wood left sitting on brick.

Not allowed. Must be 6 inches minimum.

slate in between), but even then I would have to take some of the wood off for it to fit.?

Probably not. Your Building Control Officer has final say so see what he wants.

Reply to
G&M

Few queries here.

1) How thick is the wall? 2) What will be the loading of the RSJ? 3) What does the lintel support? 4) What is the span, and size of the lintel?

I'd be rather concerned at supporting an RSJ on a single brick wall without a pillar and a concrete load spreading pad. Maybe the answer to the lintel support problem is to replace the lintel with a piece of angle iron, which would enable the rsj to be fitted above it. Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Rats.

I thought it was dicey cutting the wood lintel short.

external cavity wall and single brick on inside dividing wall

10ft single brick dividing wall, no joists

brick and 10ft long joists (bathroom) over window=20

6ft span 6*x3"

I wondered about a pillar and new lintel for window, didn't know about a load spreading pad

my next door neighbors has done the same on single brick and its been up 40 years but i know that doesn't make it right.

Thanks G&M and Capitol

Reply to
marvin

I'd second that suggestion. Should solve all your problems and spread the loading by using as wide a lintel as you can.

Reply to
G&M