RSJ cost?

We are going to knock down a supporting wall and require a RSJ. I'm trying to establish a rough idea of how much the steel will cost. Can't find anything specific on the net. Anybody know roughly how much a 3.8m RSJ would cost - plus delivery?

We live in Margate, Kent. Great if anybody knows a supplier!

Thanks

Reply to
Pete L

For a single UB, delivered, I'd count on a rate in the range of £800 - £1000 per tonne, possibly slightly more since you wouldn't be a regular customer.

a 3.8m long 152 x 89 x 16UB would therefore be around £48 to £60 from a steel stockholder. Weight 60kgs. A 178 x 102 x19 UB would be £58 to £72. Weight 72kgs.

Look in the yellow pages under steel stockholders or use yell.co.uk. .

AT

Reply to
AT

AIUI; 'RSJ' (Rolled Steel Joist) -essentialy an 'I' shaped beam formed , and rolled, from one homogenuos 'bar' has been replaced by the 'UB' Universal Beam which is an 'I' shaped beam formed from welding three seperate components (top horizontal beam, vertical 'Web' and bottom horizontal beam0 UB are cheaper than the RSJ equivalent. You have only given the dimension (3.8m) for one axis;- any beam needs to be specified in at least three width,, height and length + plate thickness of the components).

You'll need a structural engineer to advise you on your requirement before attempting to ask vendors for a quote.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Once you know the spec...I would guess that Parker Steel in Canterbury might be able to help (in Vauxhall Road).

Reply to
Bob Eager

assume for our cash he will tell us exactly the spec we will require...

Reply to
Pete L

Oh, I don't know.

I would have thought just the one Margate was plenty.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No. RSJs and UBs are both rolled out of a single piece of steel and there is no welding involved. The difference is that RSJs (all but obsolete) have a

14 degree taper on the inner faces of the flanges, whilst both faces of a UB (also UC and PFC) section are parallel.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Usually goes like - after reams of calculations - 'any UB will do'. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for that - I thought I'd been very unobservant in not seeing the welds. Nor would it make sense to me - the energy involved in welding would surely be greater than rolling an already hot ingot?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)