Lintel / RSJ advice required

I tried searching through the news group before asking but a search on uk.d-i-y for the word Lintel on Google Groups only returned 6 results (very odd).

Anyway, the previous owners of my house extended out both floors to add space onto the kitchen and bath room. It doesn't look like a Lintel was put above the back door (it's below the maximum width for an opening without a lintel I think), however, there is also a small window in the same wall next to the back door.

It seems to my untrained eye that the vertical load has pushed down on this, and, running from the top corner of the door frame, down to the window, and then all the way down to near the ground cause a big crack to appear.

After poking around the neighbours yard where it joins with the extension and also inspecting the concrete area out the back around this part of the house I don't believe it's subsidence and think that it's purely a load based fault (if I'm wrong here then please let me know).

What type of lintel do you use in a solid red brick type external wall? I'm thinking of ripping out the single back door and window and replacing with a double french door type opening (figure if I have to do the work to fit a lintel I might as well make improvements whilst I'm at it), so, how do I go about sizing a lintel of this type. Lastly, I know I need to get the BCO involved at some point, when do I do this, and, do I need to get anyone else involved? (structural surveyor perhaps?).

any comments would be extremely helpful.

thanks

Seri

Reply to
Seri

If you get a pre-stressed concrete one from your local builder it will be fine for pretty well all domestic likelihoods. But by all means check first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is a prestressed concrete lintel the right tool for this job? I was looking cat Catnics and RSJ's, is hard to find guidance on what should be used under which circumstances.

Seri

Reply to
Seri

I find this with almost every search I do. I know there was an issue back in June with new content not being indexed in some groups, but does anyone know what is going on now, with the older content, that seems to be unsearchable? This group has gone from being a mine of archived information, to next to useless - other than new replies to queries, which are as erudite and informed as ever ;-)

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

It would depend on the look you want. A lintel looks fine on an older house. What do all the other openings have? I'd match those.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

There's the rub, is a Victorian house but the blooming irks that wrecked the place covered it in render so what with the big chunks I've chipped away it will look like a dogs dinner anyway...

Reply to
Seri

Malcolm

Thank you, that's very helpful :-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Indeed, have now been able to trawl all the old lintel discussions. Many thanks. :o)

Reply to
Seri